Purpose of status category

He Who Shall Not Be Named June 7, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Defining status field values

I am curious if status category actually has any role aside from it's logical role.

In the documentation, it mentions about being relevant to where it is placed in a board column. I haven't encountered it to be so. You can place any status with any status category in any column.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2016

It is only a logical grouping. And of course, the status has different colors based on category.

As you said, you can place any status anywhere in the board. One team's "done" is not another team's "done"!

Marc Moroz May 7, 2019

While you can place any status anywhere on they board, it's worth considering that statuses have a rank-order so if you generate a report to see where things are by status, your report might not look right because items don't show up in the order you'd expect.

Also, the status categories are helpful when searching and if you have a status that is status category of DONE and you're not using it as done, it will make your queries messier and harder to maintain.

2 votes
He Who Shall Not Be Named June 8, 2016

Thank you Jobin. I will accept that answer.

I just find the definition misleading. It doesn't really help in identifying where issues are in their lifecycle (since it can be placed anywhere). Nor is it relevant to map status to columns in boards (since it can also be placed anywhere).

Category —  choose a category that this status will be grouped into: 'To Do' (blue), 'In Progress' (yellow) or 'Done' (green). Categories help you identify where issues are in their lifecycle, particularly in places where a large number of issues are rolled up, e.g. Version Details page, Sprint Health Gadget. The category is also used to map statuses to columns in JIRA Software , when creating a new board for an existing project.

Heather R March 23, 2020

This helps us mostly as it pertains to reporting and Issuecategory search capabilities.  I see now how this is helpful! 

Like Karim likes this
0 votes
Carol Jones June 15, 2020
0 votes
Chris DeAntonio March 28, 2018

What exactly controls whether an issue gets a line through it's ID (strikethrough)?  Does that only happen when an issue reaches the right-most column in a board?

And if that issue proceeded with additional workflow statuses beyond those on that board (e.g. release management), would it remain struck-through?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2018

Resolution.

If the resolution field is empty, the issue is "not done", and drawn normally.  If any resolution is set, it's resolved and hence struck out.

Like # people like this
Stephan Grubbe Sølby March 29, 2021

When showing an epic in issue view, the members of this epic are struck out based on statusCategory and not resolution. 

Even if the correct status is shown, it is confusing from a GUI perspective.

Suggest an answer