Pros and cons for JIRA 7.3 on Apache tomcat

Hi Guys,

We are planning to install JIRA 7.3 , Is there any advantages using apache tomcat over JIRA 7.3.

Thanks

Ashish.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes

I do not understand the question.

Tomcat is an application server.  JIRA is an issue tracker.  They do different things.  (And JIRA runs on Tomcat)

Sorry for the confusion Nic,  Is it necessary to run JIRA 7.3 on Tomcat , my questions is what are pros and cons JIRA 7.3 running on Tomcat.

I'm still not sure what you're looking for.   Let me try a different tack.I don't understand the original question because it was not comparing systems that do even similar things.  It was like asking to compare a word processor with an operating system.  Different things.The new question is slightly better, but has no context.  The best I can do is "Pro: it works.  Pro: you get to use JIRA".I guess what I need to know is "why are you asking?"  What is the reason behind your question?

sorry for the lack of my knowledge, we are in JIRA 5 which is configured with Tomcat. Now we are going to have a separate instance to install JIRA 7.3, do we still need to configure JIRA 7.3 with tomcat where I'm reading on Atlassian documents JIRA 7.3 is bundled with Tomcat(JIRA 7 has already configured with Tomcat in these versions )  and Atlassian says it is not going to support this. Here I have confusions and worries.

Thank you for your replies.Atlassian.jpg

Ah, I see, you've misread the documentation.

Atlassian will not support the use of anything other than the bundled Tomcat.  If you run Jira on your own Tomcat, you are unsupported.

Use the installer and follow the installation guide.

Thank you Nic, is this the new feature in JIRA 7. Tomcat bundled with JIRA installer?.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,888 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot