Pros and Cons of JIRA Server vs. Cloud

LeKisha Boswell October 24, 2018

When considering implementing JIRA Software Cloud vs Server what are the pros and cons of each when considering performance,maintenance, resources, budget and all other things that would impact the instance?

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2018

Start with https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/pros-and-cons-of-cloud-vs-server-691011844.html

In my opinion, this is biased towards Cloud, as it does not emphasise that 

• Cloud Apps are limited in power compared with Server
  • Cloud's "you get what you're given" software can be really bad for some people, especially when an overnight change can be a incredibly disruptive
  • A lot of users are very unhappy with Cloud's counter-intuitive UI (Strong opinion here - I'm one of them - It does not work for me, and it seems to be dreadful for the full range of users - old hands hate it, completely new people can't find anything, and waste vast amounts of their admins time with "but where is?")
  • There are no SLAs on Cloud if you need them
Justin Cimino November 12, 2018

I second these points on Cloud, especially point 3. I just inadvertently deleted all issues on a project board as I copied the board and thought the issues had also duplicated. It is not intuitive. I found this thread via a "hate jira cloud" Google search if that is an indication of my current thinking.

LeKisha Boswell November 13, 2018

Are there any benefits to having a Cloud instance (e.g. maintenance overhead, automatic releases etc)?

Thanks for your feedback - I truly value it!

Like isaac.montero likes this
Prasad Salunkhe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 27, 2019

I used Jira Enterprise in my last work for more than 3 years and now I am on Jira cloud. Its a different experience all together. Different layout. 

Its a pain to move around.

Even confluence cloud has a different look and not user friendly.

Like RJ Seoud likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 27, 2019

As an update,

Cloud now has a "premium" option which does give you SLAs (on top of the "don't have to think about running my own computers"), and there's a Chrome plugin that Atlassian are using to demo an overhaul of the UI - a lot of it going back to the server layout which is so much better than Cloud.

Like Maren likes this
Stian Bentsen Sveen October 21, 2020

Hi, I dont like to "resurrect" old threads, but this was the most relevant one I found and thought I might just add here instead of asking a new question.

I am now facing the same thing in my company. We've used on prem ever since we started using JIRA back in 2013 or something and now the company wants to move to cloud and have started an investigation with an external party to map all our on prem custom functionalities and addons and see what we need to do before going to cloud (or if its recommended).

I've hardly used cloud, just had a trial and at least from an admin point of view it did seem a bit more clunky and the experience as a whole seems like almost another system.

Are the things mentioned here previously still relevant?

Like Cecilie likes this

Suggest an answer