PropertySet vs Active Objects

Hi all,

I develop a plugin, and I would like to know what dis/advantages which data storage technology has. Why should I use Acitve Objects instead of PropertySet or vice versa? Is acitve objects faster, better, easier to develop or something else?

I couldn't find any post on the internet that solve the secret so I ask here.

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I am not sure which one is faster but have a couple of observations that might be useful.

Active Objects lets you define the schema and so would be easier and better if you are storing lot of data. If it is just a property or two, PropertySet is easier.

Properties defined via PropertySet are loaded during JIRA startup, eventhough not needed. Storing too much data using property set will have a negative impact because of that. Active Objects are loaded only via the plugin code.

Thank you very much. If I'm not mistaken you must be the author of that Jira Development Cookbook. Quite often I've already cited this book in my bachelor thesis.

I still have one question to your comment:

You said active objects lets you define a schema. What do you mean by schema? Is it possible to define realtions between objects (like n:m-association) using PropertySet?

If I'm not mistaken you must be the author of that Jira Development Cookbook

Yes, I am. Hope that is not a bad thing ;)

You said active objects lets you define a schema. What do you mean by schema?

You can define the tables and columns as you like. And also define the data types for each column.

Is it possible to define realtions between objects (like n:m-association) using PropertySet?

I don't think so. You can define properties for existing entities (like User, Issue etc) and add new property key:value pairs. That's it I think.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

130 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you