Property Key in workflow how do they work

Jon November 16, 2018

are there any articles on how this works? I have trying to do some things in the workflow that cant be done with validator or conditions. 

thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2018

Hello,

Here is the best article  I have ever seen about workflow properties:

https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Jon November 19, 2018

thanks. 

I was looking at this article aand it gives a good framework how this works but wondering if you know how to perform the denial of linking (epic link) a issue to an epic in a particular status. 

I tried these two but doesn't seem to work. 

jira.permission.epiclink.denieddenied
jira.permission.link.denied
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2018

Try like this:

jira.permission.link.group.1=some-group-one

You can read more info here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-we-disable-linking-issues-to-an-Issue-when-it-is-closed/qaq-p/324525

Jon November 19, 2018

HI Alexey, 

if I do this like you put above  do I do "allow" instead of "deny"? An basically there is no one in this group so its the same as a deny property?

And when I make this group can it be the default group that jira gives or do I have to make a custom group name? I would make these groups in the permissions under the project right? 

thanks again

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2018

Not all properties have the allow option. I guess, the same thing with the link property. Yes, if no one is in a group, then it is basically the same as a deny property.

I can be a default group. You make this group in the User Management menu.

Jon November 20, 2018

got it. so I made a group, called "Group". How should I construct this property? 

so should it be constructed like this or do I have to add other characters? this would basically allow only those in the "group" to change links on epics that are in the closed status and since no one is in the group no one would be able to do it. 

property key: jira.permission.link.group=group

property value: allow

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

It should be :

jira.permission.link.group.1=group

Like Krishnam2330 likes this
Jon November 20, 2018

it doesn't work, should it be like this, given that the group is called " group" and there is no one is in it? And it would be allow? 

Capture11.PNG

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2018

property key = jira.permission.link.group.1

property value = group

Jon November 20, 2018

it works for regular links but it doesn't work to deny epic links. I have this property on the epic itself to prevent regular issues from being linked to it. how would I reword the property? 

Jon November 21, 2018

hi Alexey, 

do you know if there is a way to make this for epic link or  should links be the same as epic links. 

another thing I was wondering is how would you go about changing the permission to deny or allow users from a particular field only. is that possible? 

Thanks again.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2018

I do not think, there is such a permission.

Jon November 21, 2018

you mean there is no permission for epic links or for field specific premissions?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2018

I am sure that there is no field specific permissions. Also there is no separate permission for epic links.

ABRAR ALI August 25, 2020

Hi @Jon & @Alexey Matveev 

Were you able to find a solution to hide Epic links using Workflow Properties ?

I have a similar requirement and have not found a solution yet.

Regards

Abrar

0 votes
Daniel Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 16, 2018

Hi Jon,

Are you referring to workflow properties? If so, you can go to this KB for more information - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/workflow-properties-776636709.html

What sort of workflow functions are you trying to do that a validator / condition can't do?

Jon November 17, 2018

Hi Daniel, I’m trying to restrict the issue from being certain fields (but not all fields) including the epic it’s linked to if it is in the paid status. 

Suggest an answer