Proper way to disable Jira user creation

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hi,

I have jira 5.2.6 integrated with crowd. I've disabled the internal Jira directory within Jira, and I've disabled the jira application in crowd from creating or editing users.

Everything seems to work -- I am unable to create users in Jira.

*However* -- when I try to create a user in Jira, I get an error saying:

This user does not exist please select a user from the user browser.

Shouldn't the error message say something like "Your system administrator has disabled adding users in the system." ??

Basically, the functionality works like I want, but I don't like/understand the messaging -- wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Tips appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hi Bryan,

Since user management is delegated to Crowd, and JIRA internal directory has been disabled, I believe that you may disable the Add User option in JIRA by enabling the External User Management option. The option can be enabled by going to Administration > General Configurations > External User Management.

More details on this is described in the following documentation:
- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA+Options

External user management

When turned ON, you will no longer be able to create, edit or delete users/groups from within JIRA (or via email orimport); but you can still assign users/groups to project roles, and create/edit/delete user properties. Additionally, JIRA will not display options for users to change their password, or edit their profile.

I hope that this will help!

Suggest an answer