Proper query string

I'm using JIRA REST to retrieve tickets assigned to particular developer. This is what I've come up with :


http://<JIRA host>/rest/api/2/search?jql=updated>-1h AND assignee in ('david123','daniel123') AND status in ('open','reopened','in progress')


It should return zero result, as there is no such username in the database. (I tested it by copying and pasting the same query string in browser address bar and got zero result. ). However, it returns bunch of tickets assigned to other developers. If I use URL encoding for spaces and quotes such as :


http://<JIRA HOST>/rest/api/2/search?jql=updated%3E-1h%20AND%20assignee%20in%20(%22david123%22%2C%22daniel123%22)%20AND%20status%20in%20%28%22open%22%2C%22reopened%22%2C%22in progress%22)


It gives this error : "Error in the JQL Query: The quoted string 'in' has not been completed. (line 1, character 86)" The same query string works just fine in browsers.

I appreciate much if anyone could point out the mistake I made in my query string.


EDIT : I posted the wrong query string and error message. I fixed it just now.

EDIT : Just to give better context, I'm using CURL in PHP script to retrieve those tickets.





1 answer

1 accepted


Make sure you have the correct JQL query by using the issue navigator, then copy the relevant part of the URL to use it in the REST call. That will very likely resolve your problem.



The same query string works just fine(returned expected result) on browser window but it does not for my script.

Hi, I just copied your query from the first URL (after jql=), pasted it in the issue navigator and then copied the encoded the encoded jql query string from the URL. This is the encoded query string that I got, and it differs from the one you posted: jql=updated>-1h%20AND%20assignee%20in%20(%27david123%27%2C%27daniel123%27)%20AND%20status%20in%20(%27open%27%2C%27reopened%27%2C%27in%20progress%27)

I found the mistake - I did not replace the space between "in" and "progress" and it was causing the issue. It wasn't an issue with browser, as the browser replaces them. Thanks for pointing that out!



sorry for asking, but what did you replace the space by? %20?  I´m trying here but it doesn't really works :/

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

64 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you