Project templates make copies of existing schemes

Tim Reiking December 18, 2013

Our instance of JIRA has a lot of projects in it. A lot of our projects share the same issue type scheme, workflows, and workflow schemes. We are trying to keep the number of these items as minimal as possible. Also if we have a company wide process change, we want to apply it to all projects quickly. Therefore, this is the reason we share workflows and etc. Plus we want to keep the system as clean as possible.

The problem is that everytime we create a new project, the new project creates a project specific version of the items I mentioned above. The we manually have to configure the project to use the already in place schemes that our other projects use. While we see benefits to having project specific items, we would rather this be the execption rather the the norm.

I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to disable or modify this "feature" and have new projects default to already in place workflows rather than making their own copies?

2) If not, what is the reasoning behind having the system perform in this manner?

2 answers

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2014

Hi Tim,

I was asking similar question some time ago related to project templates. I personally thisnk that it should be possible to quickly create a template with a name a list of the schemes that you want to use for every new project.

Currently I can say that this is not possible OOTB. I would have a solution for you but I see that you are using OnDemand instance, so probably it will be hard to extend your JIRA instance.

If using standalone there is no problem with creating/developing your own Project Template. By following this great tutorial you should be able to easily achieve that:

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Creating+a+Project+Template

If this is not a option for you there still is light in the tunnel.. You will need to vote for this ticket and wait until Atlassian will develope some improvements to the core product.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-7020

Message in the description is saying that some improvements will be done in upcomming year. Let's hope that this will help in your problem.

Best Regards,

Mirek

0 votes
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2014

When you create a new project, there are serveral options. For example if I select Simple Issue Tracking then you are correct, a new workflow will be created/associated. In contrast, if you select 'JIRA Classic' as your blueprint style you will not see that behavior.

Tim Reiking January 2, 2014

Is there a way to select a custom workflow during the creation of a project without making a copy of that custom workflow?

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2014

I don't believe there is a way of selecting a custom workflow during the creation. Only predefined workflows can be selected. Cheers

Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
June 3, 2015

Just to update, the 'JIRA Classic' is now called 'JIRA Default Schemes' after JIRA 6.4

Suggest an answer