Project structure

Mark Stocker July 4, 2011

Hi, fairly new to the Atlassian toolset and have purchased Jira, Greenhopper and Confluence.

Trying to get my head around the best way to structure the project setup in Jira so thought I'd open it up for suggestions.

I'm at a media company so projects are typically named after Sports or tools for News. For this example lets say we have a Football project.

This Football project will involve changes to 4 different 'systems' that will each need some code built and a new version deployed (a messgae BUS, Content Store, API and some UI). These same items will all change again for the Cricket porject that is coming along next.

So, is the best way to structure this as follows:

• My Project is called Football
  • The Football project has components created - Messgae BUS, Content Store, API, UI
  • The Storys are all logged under this project and listed against a Component

Seems like a resonable approach to me but my main question is how to assign versions to the components? eg if Football changes the Msg Bus that might be at version 2.0 but the API might be 5.9. Is there a way of tying this all together?

or is there a better appoach?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2011

This sounds like you need up to five projects, one for each component and one for the overall product. This solves the version problem, at least. It depends whether you can manage the components separately and how your teams work.

In the end, there's no definitive reason to go one way or the other, it's more a case of what works. Projects with zillion of issues become hard to figure mentally, even if Jira copes. Likewise a project with few issues should be probably be combined. It's not set in stone, you can split and combine down the track.

Suggest an answer