Project property settings in JIRA

Leeana March 14, 2018

Why isn't there a way to create a property when you create a project? Or create it with a project id? Viewing and updating is there but why not create?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2018

Because Jira is all about the issues, not the projects.  Projects are for holding config for their issues and grouping them, not doing project management with properties.  If you want project properties, your best bet is probably the "Profields" add-on (which also adds some handy project reporting stuff)

The ability to set a key when creating has been removed recently, but it's a retrograde step for most of us.  Sure you can change the project key afterwards, but the old interface which suggested a key from the name and then let you overwrite it was FAR better for everyone.

Leeana March 14, 2018

I understand, but in the company I work for we see projects as important, maybe not as important as issues, but important nonetheless. Which is why I am trying to do this. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2018

I completely understand that.  But plain Jira is not that interested at a project level, it's aimed at getting things done. 

I still would take a look at the profields add-on, but if projects are that important, you may want to have a look at Portfolio too.  It won't add a lot to projects directly, but for your planning across many projects, there's some far more useful stuff than project flags!

2 votes
ILA eSolution _admin_ February 24, 2019

Hello everyone, here is simple plugin that help us to manage project level attributes.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1217709/project-properties-for-jira

1 vote
Julius Bär June 7, 2019

I would recommend JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin for defining custom properties at a project level and you could use them in workflow conditions

https://apps.decadis.net/display/JWT/Project+Properties

Suggest an answer