Project key not updating

chandag November 5, 2018

Hello Team,

We have changed the project key (SRS to SRSINC) of a project and when creating a new project with the key SRS, it is showing that the key "SRS" is still being used by another project, even though we have changed it. (see attachment).

Kindly suggest

Regards
Chandan RajCapture.PNGCapture1.PNG

1 answer

3 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2018

Hi,

This is a limitation of the ability to change project keys.

If you have issues in a project, then change the key, those old issues will still retain information about the old key, so it can forward users to the newer key.

A side effect of this is that you cannot reuse a key in Jira if you have existing issues that have historically used that key. The only ways to get around this would be to delete all issues that have ever used that key, or to hack around in the database, which I highly suggest you do not do.

Karie Kelly December 10, 2019

I was doing a test project and actually did delete the issues - but, the key seems to still be retained - even when no issues exist.  It seems that if only the project exists, the reindexing that is triggered should no longer retain the old project key at the project level, allowing its reuse.  The issue arises when you are establishing your instance and start to utilize or bring on new projects, where you may not get the organization right the first time given that it takes some experience before really figuring it out.  Would also suggest documentation state to use a bit more robust keys initially to minimize the potential need for reuse or reuse conflict.  

I am not new to JIRA - administered it for almost 5 years; but, took a break for about 5 years and it takes a bit to get back into it and so I don't believe coming across this issue would be unheard of for others. 

Suggest an answer