Project automation based on time in a status

Colum McAndrew July 7, 2021

I'm wondering if it is possible to create an automation rule, to display a ticket differently on a board if it has been in a particular status for a set period of time.

For example, we have a wait status of "In Review" where the ticket is assigned to someone outside our team. If a ticket is in that status for (say) a week, we'd like it to change appearance to yellow. If a ticket is in that status for (say) two weeks, we'd like it to change appearance to red.

Is this possible. From what I've seen from the Automation function, it relies on something changing on the ticket, but do correct me if I'm wrong. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2021

Hi @Colum McAndrew 

What type of project are you using: team-managed or company-managed?  The type of project will influence what you can do built-in versus not.

For team-managed, you could use a scheduled automation rule to set the "flag"/impediment indicator for stuck issues.  That would highlight such issues in a light red color on the board.  If you need something like a text indicator also (for accessibility compliance), you could add a label also.

For company-managed project, issue coloring adds a thin color band on the left of cards.  You could add that with a quick-filter using JQL to find stalled issues.  If you needed a text indicator (like a label), you could add a scheduled automation rule to add a label.  Of note: for company-managed projects, I do not believe there is a built-in way to color/shade the entire card.  You would need to purchase a marketplace addon to do that.

If any of these options look helpful, please check the documentation for how-to information, or post your follow-up questions here.  Thanks!

Best regards,
Bill

Colum McAndrew July 9, 2021

Many thanks for the response @Bill Sheboy. We have team managed projects here, but I wonder if we've a different set of default rules. I say this, because it seems like the opposite of what you say is the case.

I have been able to add some JQL to the Card Color settings, which displays a thin colored bar to the tickets. Similarly I can't see a way to display a background colour.

I may be wrong about being a team managed project, but the docs mentioned here seem to back that up. Thoughts?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2021

Hi!  What you noted is confusing me a bit...

Company-Managed projects (classic) have quick filters, and Team-Managed do not: 
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-quick-filters/

If you have a quick filter which is not working as you expect, consider posting that so the community can help give you ideas.

Also as I noted for Company-Managed projects, they do not shade the background color of cards.  You would need to investigate if there are marketplace add-ons for that.

Team-Managed can shade the background of flagged cards, which you can see in this image: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/get-started-with-team-managed-projects/#Choose-the-best-view-for-your-board.1

Like Colum McAndrew likes this
Colum McAndrew July 9, 2021

Ah OK. So we must have a company managed project, as we do have quick filters. Many thanks Bill.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer