Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Project Team Setup: Create a Team of people who are not in company directory yet

I want to put together a project proposal and assign tasks to people who have not yet been hired.  Can I create a team without having to identify current employees?  Want to add  TechPerson1,  Data Analyst3.

The goal is figure out how many people will be needed for each task to meet a fixed deadline4.

1 answer

Hi @Scott Redstone 

You mention Team, but also assigning Issues to non-existent users - are you looking to do this in Advanced Roadmaps? Or in a normal Jira Project?

You used to be able to create "Virtual Users" for this purpose, but they're no longer available in Cloud.

I'd consider...

• Creating each user as a "Shared Team" in Advanced Roadmaps, and set the Team at an Issue level
  • Create a Select List Custom Field of unfilled roles, and use this to "assign" a user to an Issue by choosing one of the options, rather than populating Assignee

You could also create additional user accounts per non-existent user if you wanted to and...

• Assign them to Issues - you'd need to pay for a licence per user though
  • Set them as the Reporter, or into a User Picker custom field

But given the need to have an email address per user (and an Atlassian Account), I don't think this would be particularly efficient.

Ste

I thought about creating a custom field but that is a kludgy workaround.  I cannot be the first person doing a pro forma project plan that needs to figure out how many people I'll need and the required skill sets.

If I use real names then it appears that every time  I change anything all sorts of notifications get sent around.

Is there a way to turn off notifications to team members so they aren't inundated with notifications?  

I also haven't received OK for the project nor do I necessarily have access to the people I may want to have on the team.

scott..........

I want to do this in Jira Projects I think.  Am new to this.  Was a user of MS Project years ago.  That was not a great program but I believe I could assign tasks to "generic" individuals.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you