Project Team Setup: Create a Team of people who are not in company directory yet

Scott Redstone May 6, 2022

I want to put together a project proposal and assign tasks to people who have not yet been hired.  Can I create a team without having to identify current employees?  Want to add  TechPerson1,  Data Analyst3.

The goal is figure out how many people will be needed for each task to meet a fixed deadline4.

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2022

Hi @Scott Redstone 

You mention Team, but also assigning Issues to non-existent users - are you looking to do this in Advanced Roadmaps? Or in a normal Jira Project?

You used to be able to create "Virtual Users" for this purpose, but they're no longer available in Cloud.

I'd consider...

• Creating each user as a "Shared Team" in Advanced Roadmaps, and set the Team at an Issue level
  • Create a Select List Custom Field of unfilled roles, and use this to "assign" a user to an Issue by choosing one of the options, rather than populating Assignee

You could also create additional user accounts per non-existent user if you wanted to and...

• Assign them to Issues - you'd need to pay for a licence per user though
  • Set them as the Reporter, or into a User Picker custom field

But given the need to have an email address per user (and an Atlassian Account), I don't think this would be particularly efficient.

Ste

Scott Redstone May 9, 2022

I thought about creating a custom field but that is a kludgy workaround.  I cannot be the first person doing a pro forma project plan that needs to figure out how many people I'll need and the required skill sets.

If I use real names then it appears that every time  I change anything all sorts of notifications get sent around.

Is there a way to turn off notifications to team members so they aren't inundated with notifications?  

I also haven't received OK for the project nor do I necessarily have access to the people I may want to have on the team.

scott..........

Scott Redstone May 9, 2022

I want to do this in Jira Projects I think.  Am new to this.  Was a user of MS Project years ago.  That was not a great program but I believe I could assign tasks to "generic" individuals.

Suggest an answer