Project Import not finding the attachments

I have two installations of jira 4.4.4. When importing the project from one installation to another, the log is showing an error when importing the attachments.

It looks like older attachments were in a directory like:

'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2133\10202_screenshot-1.jpg

And later attachments are located like this:

'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2134\10724

It seems that at some point the source envirnment was upgraded and the later release is storing the attachment in a file named as the issue ID. This file has no extension.

If that's the case, is there a way to convert the older attachments to the new structure in some way so that I can import this?

Or is there another way to import this mixture of attachments?

Thanks!

attachments for newer issues look like this.

3 answers

1 accepted

After a restart of the jira service, the attachments are now connected to the correct issues. In fact, both the old method and the new method of storing attachments were successfully processed during the import. The real issue it seems is that the pre-import validation step (and the log) incorrectly reported that all the attachments (old and new method) would not be imported.

DId you physically copy over the attachments? If not, I would try that first with one or two attachments and see if things work or not.

Here's a section of the log:

2012-10-26 15:59:21,532 JiraTaskExectionThread-61 WARN CBarlage 959x42546x1 1h7zh7m 172.16.117.89 /secure/admin/ProjectImportSelectProject.jspa [imports.project.handler.AttachmentFileValidatorHandler] The attachment 'screenshot-1.jpg' does not exist at 'e:\Program Files (x86)\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA444\import\attachments\VOR\VOR-2134\10732'. It will not be imported.

And yes, I do have the attachments in the import directory under a folder matching each project key.

I have run the import in the sandbox environment and have seen a few of the attachments be properly linked to the correct issues. However, most are NOT available, so I opened a support issue with Atlassan. Once this is resolved, I will update this question with the answer.

My import just stops because of these errors... any one know a way around that?

0 vote

Hi CBarlage,

We can't see the attachment, could you copy and paste the error here?

Thank you.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,223 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot