Project Creation and Privacy Settings for group

Melissa Engleman March 6, 2017

I have a group of about a dozen people testing out JIRA during the year.  They all want to be able to create their own projects but also have the ability to make some of their projects private.  From what I've been able to figure out, I had to give them all admin rights in order to create their own projects.  But those rights also give them the ability to edit the permission settings on each others' projects (kind of negating the privacy setting).  

Is there an easier way to make a project private?  Or should I just have one admin who creates project areas for everyone on request?  

I should point out that I'm kind of the default admin for all of this.  We're mainly testing out JIRA for project management and communication.  The privacy setting is a small request, but it is driving me nuts trying to figure out a simple way to do this.  Thanks for any help.  

1 answer

0 votes
QuentinB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2017

Yes, you should have some admin users (not one, because someone should be able to manage the JIRA instance during the vacation of the designated JIRA Adminstrator) who create project and manage users for everyone on request.

There is a difference beetween user type in JIRA :

• Uers (create and work on issue) all user logged in the application
  • Project Administrator (manage project) user with role *project administrator* in project
  • JIRA Administrator (for the configuration of the instance) user with right JIRA Administrators in global permission

Suggest an answer