Project Automation set Epic Link is not working

Björn Fihn August 23, 2021

I want some easy rule, after some EPIC is created and want that some Task it automaticly created and linked to the generated EPIC.

I dont know why but this is not working. If i created an EPIC then some new TASK is automaticly generated but withouth any link to the EPIC.

2021-08-23 09_35_24-Project automation - Jira - PM - AEB SE.png

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2021

Hi @Björn Fihn

it looks pretty good and should work from my point of view.

In order being able to add an Epic Link the user needs "Edit Issue Permission" on the Epic in question.
You could double check if this would be missing (I see you are creating an Epic but this would only need "Create Issue Permission" so it could be the edit is missing - and that would be leading to a failure).

However, this is just a guess and I am wondering if that would be the case an error shouldn't be visible from log.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Hi @Björn Fihn 

It depends what you describe as "link". If you are talking about epic link between Epic and automatically created Task then this rule should work as expected:

auto1.png

If you wish also to create standard link between issues (like "relates to" or "blocked by") you need to change a little your automation rule:

auto2.png

And the result then:auto3.png

Best regards,

Piotr

Hi @Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_  

yes, i want it as "epic link between Epic and automatically created Task" but this is not woking and i dont know why.

Epic:

2021-08-23 10_52_23-[EHLSP-28] test - Jira - PM - AEB SE.png

Taks automaticly created but without link to Epic:

2021-08-23 10_53_10-[EHLSP-29] test - Jira - PM - AEB SE.png

Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

@Björn Fihn please open your rule and check Audit log. Probably there you will find information why this rule does not work as expected.

auto4.png

@Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_ thats the most strange part it mentioned all is good :) 2021-08-23 11_05_05-Posteingang - Bjoern.Fihn@aeb.com - Outlook.png

tim_wheeler May 11, 2022

I have exactly this same problem. I wonder if it is because the automation is quicker than the Epic creation?

I trigger the rule on Epic creation, it all works as expected. It sets other fields as specified, but cannot set the Epic Link and creates it blank. No error is shown.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2022

Hi @tim_wheeler 

First thing: I recommend creating a new question and posting images of your rule to get the most visibility to your question/use case, and add links to related community threads.  Otherwise only people watching older threads will see it.  Thanks!

Next, the Issue Created trigger has a known issue where it can fire before all of the data is available for use/conditions/etc.  I recommend *always* putting a Re-fetch action after the Issue Created trigger to slow down the rule and reload the data before any other rule components.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like tim_wheeler likes this

Suggest an answer