Project Admin with permission granted cannot delete an issue

mariana.solana@pedidosya.com January 10, 2020

Hi, 

A project admin is unable to delete issues even though the permission scheme has been updated to allow him to delete issues based on his project role. Moreover, there's another administrator on the project and he's able to delete issues. 

When I run the permission helper it says this person does not have the delete issue permission. 

What is likely the issue?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

So, I'll leave this here in case anyone has the same problem. There's a bug or strange behavior happening with some users that appear to be duplicated in the system. We were assigning permissions to one of the users that was not the one being actively used by this person. My hypothesis is that sometimes people get added to a project BEFORE they have actually accepted and created their account in jira and this creates the confusion. We added the correct account and the problem was solved.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

Do not delete issues. When you delete it is GONE. Hardly a week goes by without someone wanting to restore an issue. Deleting issues will come back and bite you when it is the most inconvenient. I suggest closing with a resolution value of Deleted anything you want to delete. I implement a special transition only the project lead can execute and it requires filling in a reason field from a select list (such as entered in error, OBE, Duplicate, Other) and explanation text.

Deleting issues destroys historical data. Missing issue numbers will eventually cause a question about what it was and why was it deleted even if it was done properly. Missing data always brings in the question of people hiding something that may have looked bad.

The only viable way to restore an issue is to create a new instance of JIRA and restore a backup that has the issues. Then export them to a csv file and import them to your production instance. You will lose the history.

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

If you insist on deleting issues you need the delete issue permission

I already have that permission.

We want to delete the issue, we're okay with the risk you mention. We don't want a workaround we want to delete the issue :) 

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2020

Hi mariana.solana@pedidosya.com 

Your Jira Administrator needs to modify the permission scheme used in your project.

There is a permission called Delete issues which you can assign to a user, role or group. In your case most likely your project admin doesn't have this permission. It is usually given to the Jira Administrators.

As mentioned above once the issue is deleted it is gone. So a bit of heads up for your project admin. Many people expect a recycle bin which is not there in Jira.

Ravi

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your reply! The permission scheme is indeed set up correctly allowing project admins to delete issues. This person is project admin. However, he still can't delete any issue. 

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2020

Hi mariana.solana@pedidosya.com 

We had a similar problem and it was solved with the right settings. I agree with @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_  you need really carefully to review all the settings or write to the Jira support.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Okay, thanks Zoryana! I think I'll reach out to support. 

Suggest an answer