Profiling JIRA ScriptRunner scripts.

Hi,

We are using several scripts through ScriptRunner in our instance. We are worried that they slow down our instance. Is there a way to profile the scripts? It would be useful to profile the scripts in the entirety (i.e. know how much time the scripts take) but it would be very interesting to get details of the time each methods in the scripts take to run.

Is there a way to do that?

Thank you very much!

3 answers

1 accepted

If you want to get timings on the scripts within the environment, you will need to add it into the scripts and also enable logging within your scripts (if you haven't already).  We have had to do this and I can certainly attest to the fact that custom scripts can slow down your environment.  There is also documentation as to how you can do testing on your scripts, if you have a newer version of the plugin – Testing your Code.

Just curious, are these mostly Scripted Fields, or Post Function type scripts?

Thanks for your answer! 

Indeed, our scripts are mostly calculations from some fields, the results of which are written into other fields. These scripts are launched as post-functions of certain transitions. However, we have a script that copies issues and this one is REAL slow.

In that case it depends whether you need what it does. The slowness, unless you've written it really badly, is just because creating issues is comparatively slow. If you write it as a java plugin, it will be just as slow, but take 10 times longer to write.

Thanks a lot for the information Jamie!

2 votes

This has been covered quite a lot before... things like workflow functions won't have a systemic effect on your instance. If you don't notice it doing the transition, then you don't have a problem.

Recent versions of the plugin record timing and logs:  https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/#_logging_and_profiling. If you are using a version before that you can add timing yourself.

But really it depends on what extension points you're using.

Nicolas and Chris

The latest versions are coming with Logging and Profiling

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,826 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot