Product latency on Cloud

Sabrina Beach January 4, 2022

We have a very small user base, but I, as our administrator, am fielding multiple complaints every week about the latency of Jira Cloud.  Just this morning, I received the following message from a product lead:

"Some of us have noticed that when on a dashboard page, trying to edit a story shown in "filter result" app by clicking the three dots on the right, Jira seems to hang for ever. Its probably a Jira bug, but just wanted to share with you"

I've had moments where I'm simply loading my active sprint and the page hangs and never loads.  Sometimes a single refresh of the screen will help, and other times I have to refresh multiple times.  

I've looked through the community and have noticed this same issue dating back at least to 2018, so this is a 4 year old issue that is yet to be resolved?  Am I alone in feeling frustration over this?  Isn't there a solution Atlassian can put in place to resolve these problems?  It's a bit ridiculous to have complaints about the same performance issues for several years only to not have it be fixed.

2 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 5, 2022

Hi @Sabrina Beach 

I created a support ticket based on your description of the problem here.  You can view this over in https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/48/PCS-73054

The problem of latency has been a problem in the past, but Atlassian has been working to reduce such problems in Cloud.  That said, when you encounter such a problem, it is best to create a support case when you are the site-admin of a paid Cloud site.  It is quite possible that the problem here is specific to your Cloud environment and in turn might require Atlassian support to investigate this further in order to correct.

Sorry for the inconvenience here, but I hope that this support case will help to find a solution here.

Cheers,

Andy

1 vote
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

Hi @Sabrina Beach,

Performance is one of those really tricky types of problems that usually isn't caused by one single thing, but a collection of factors.

Since a dashboard has been mentioned as a source problem, how many gadgets do you have on the dashboard page?  What types of gadgets are being used?  Do you have all the gadgets set to auto-refresh?  How many issues are trying to be loaded in the filters that are being called on each gadget?  How many users do you have in your instance and how many of them will be accessing this dashboard?

All of these will have an influence on the performance of your Jira instance.  If you are truly at a loss for what might be causing issues, I'd recommend opening a request with Atlassian Support to see if they can give you any information about what is happening on the backlog logging side of things to find the root cause of your issues.

I hope that helps get you started.

-Jimmy

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2022

One thing that often bites Cloud users is network latency.  Of course, it's going to be slow if your Cloud system is in Australia and you're in Europe.

I would want to check where your Cloud system is being run and consider getting it moved closer if you can (in my example above, I'd ask it to be moved to the Irish site...)

To check this, go to https://admin.atlassian.com and log in as the site admin, then go to  Security -> Data Residency - this will tell you where your Cloud system is running.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer