Product backlog and sprint backlog

Paras Sharma January 30, 2018

Hi,

I have product backlog listed in a board in one project. I want to select items from it create a sprint backlog and then start the sprint. How do I do that?

1 answer

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

Hi, 

are you able to create a SCRUM board? You added the label "Jira Core" - if you don't have the "Jira Software" edition, you can't create a SCRUM board with sprints.

Paras Sharma January 30, 2018

I can create a scrum board using "create board" option that allows to create scrum, kanban and agility board,,,I have included stories in Scrum board and calling it as product backlog...if I have to choose some stories from it and create a sprint backlog...can you suggest how to do the same...Thx for the revert.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

OK, then you have to create a sprint and add your stories to that sprint. That's it. 

That's what you might call a sprint backlog, the issues added to a sprint. 

This documentation might also help you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-sprints

Yogita Karangula July 5, 2019

How to differentiate a Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog and Actual Sprint in JIRA? 

I know that for a new scrum board, we can add as many stories/issues into a backlog. From the backlog we will create a sprint. But where do I differentiate that this set is a Product Backlog and this is the slice of a Sprint backlog.

Fahad Waheed Khan November 19, 2019

Yougita,

Basically the Backlog which you will see in your scrum board right now will serve as a Product Backlog. It can be prioritized at the time of backlog refining meeting and list will be prepared which will move to next sprint backlog.

Once you create any sprint then there will be a new list of stories or tickets will be formed which have sub-tickets etc, this in new sprint list will serve as a Sprint Backlog which will not be changed once the sprint is started.

Suggest an answer