Problems while importing issues experimentation

Frank Carr January 30, 2023

I am working within JIRA Software Cloud to understand how I can use Export/Import from one JIRA installation to another. After I have done the mapping from an exported sample to the potential JIRA Project, I do a validation. It describes the following error:

"Current JIRA settings allows you to create only 250 issues via single CSV file. Please check Advanced Settings to adjust this value."

Where can I find the Advanced Settings in my cloud instance to adjust this value? I have searched throughout the instance and cannot find anything that says "Advanced Settings" that allows this change to be made. Please advise.

I am also UNABLE  to map from an exported ISSUE ID and STATUS to my inbound fields. These fields (ISSUE ID and STATUS) do not appear on the list as part of the mapping screen. Is there something special I need to do to allow this to happen?

Thanks for any help you might provide.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

Hello @Frank Carr 

How are you accessing the Import Issues function? There are three places it could be accessed from:

1. The Advanced Issue Search screen

2. A Create Issue dialog

3. for an Administrator, from System > External System Import

If you haven't tried #3, try that to see if that solves your limitation issue. I have been successful importing more than 250 issues when I use option 3.

Your other issue concerning field mapping for Status would also be something that could be accomplished only through the Administrator option for importing issues.

What value are you trying to map for Issue ID? In general, the import function should not be used to try to force the setting of Jira Issue Keys in bulk directly for newly created issues.

Frank Carr January 31, 2023

@Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your helpful insight. In fact I was using #1&2 method and didn't realize #3 method. You are correct, #3 method allowed me to import all 900+ issues. 

I was also able to import the status', but I had to make sure that the workflow for the project contained the incoming status' so they could be Field Mapped. 

My reason for trying to map the Issue ID is that 1) I am importing to an empty project and would like to retain original Issue IDs to maintain consistency from past reporting (using JIRA at another site), and 2) Some of the descriptions contain reference to specific Issue IDs and would like to have reasonable chance to link these in the future. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2023

I have not experimented with trying to force the setting of multiple issue keys through an import function. I know it can work to set the issue key of one issue, which will then reset the next numeric portion available to assign to another issue. I would be interested to know how that works out for you.

Frank Carr January 31, 2023

@Trudy Claspill 

It seems to work fine. Interesting aspects of trying it includes:

It seems to ONLY take the numeric part of the ID and adapt it to the  new project. What I mean is this; the target project has a prefix of NISM. The exported issues I am working with have IDs template as NCR-#####. When imported, the resulting numbers Issue IDs have template of NISM-##### with the ordinal number matching what the inbound Issue key was. 

After importing, I created a new issue and it gave THAT issue an ID # +1 from the highest ID# from the incoming set.

For example, the highest issue key incoming was NCR-32628. When imported, it assigned this issue an issue key of NISM-32628. The next new issue had an issue key of NISM-32629.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2023

The swapping of your project key NCR for the project key NISM makes sense. If you are importing issues into a project that has key NISM then you can't force the issue key to include a different project key (NCR).

Good to know that you can force the numeric portion of multiple issues keys during an import.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events