Problems creating a filter..

NickW March 6, 2013

Hi All

Is it possible to have a query that finds all bugs opened in a release that were closed during that release?

I have tried:

project in (myProj1, myProj2, myProj3, myProj4 AND issuetype = Bug

status = Open AND created >= 2012-10-20 AND created <= 2013-04-12

AND

Status = Closed AND updated >= 2012-10-20 AND updated <= 2013-04-12

I tried putting brackets in but these get removed.

Does JIRA keep hold of historical state data???

Thanks

Nick

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2013

Hey nick, if I remembered correctly, it seems to be related to the new version of JIRA which the bracket were removed from the JQL. You may want to refer to this improvement ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31088

It shouldn't affect the search result if not mistaken.

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2013

By the way, the JQL seems a little not right. Try the following instead:

project in (myProj1, myProj2, myProj3, myProj4) AND issuetype = Bug status in (Open,Closed) AND created >= 2012-10-20 AND created <= 2013-04-12 AND AND updated >= 2012-10-20 AND updated <= 2013-04-12

NickW March 6, 2013

Thanks Teck.

This achieves half of what i want... in that it returns all the bugs opened and also closed in a given period but I only want to see the closed ones i.e. the results should only show closed bugs from the period that were also opened during that period. Any further ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for info...One of your AND's ended up in the wrong place though...

project in (myProj1, myProj2, myProj3, myProj4) AND issuetype = Bug AND status in (Open, Closed) AND created >= 2012-10-20 AND created <= 2013-04-12 AND updated >= 2012-10-20 AND updated <= 2013-04-12 ORDER BY status DESC, created DESC

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2013
Hey nick, sorry for the typo earlier. As you looking for the status changed, you can see the changed operator in the advanced search documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-CHANGED For example, status CHANGED FROM "In Progress" TO "Open"
NickW March 6, 2013

Thanks for the advanced searching link... some more bed time reading!

I just tried

project in (a,b,c,d,e,f) AND issuetype = Bug AND status changed FROM "Open" TO "Closed" DURING ("2012/10/20", "2013/04/12")

however this returns nothing and yet I know some issues should be returned e.g. was created in Feb 13 and then closed in mar 13

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
March 6, 2013

Hey Nick, I think the changed only looks for entry exactly From Open status to Closed Status. If you have any other status transition in between, it will not show at all.

Works:

Open -> Closed

Not Works:

Open -> In Progress -> Resolved -> Closed

Open -> Resolved -> Closed

NickW March 7, 2013

Hi Teck, I think you are right. Which is a problem at the moment butour workflow may well change soon anyway and as luck would happen then this will work fine. Many tanks for your help.

Laszlo Kremer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2013

I just can't tell how annoying is to read four line long JQL with removed brackets. I don't know who's idea that was, but they should increase a counter every time someone got confused reading a complicated JQL.

Every time the counter reaches another hundred, the line breaks should be removed from the guy's IDE who designed this.

Like Jj Cv likes this

Suggest an answer