Problem trying to add label using cURL

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

I'm attempting to add a release label to an issue via cURL.

My JSON - a one-liner - reads like (it's stored in a file called SetLabel.json)

{"update":{"labels":[{"add":"test"}]}}

My cURL command line reads like

'-X PUT --data @SetLabel.json https://mycompany.jira.com/rest/api/latest/issue/issuenumber'

and I'm getting an error that says

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"labels":"Field 'labels' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}}

My _curlrc file reads

-H "Content-Type: application/json"

-k

-u userid:password (to protect the innocent)

--silent

--show-error

and it looks like I'm matching the JSON shown in

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Updating+an+Issue+via+the+JIRA+REST+APIs

Any ideas?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

Are you allowed to edit labels from the UI issue screen? If not, then you can't update via API either. You may want to add the labels field to show on the issue screen.

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2012

If I go to More Actions / Labels, I can add/edit labels without issue. The field is showing on the screen - but not directly editable from that screen. I thought it might be security related, but that doesn't seem to be the case - I can change the labels at will.

Ah, but you might mean "Do you need to go to some type of other screen to edit it?" in which case, the answer is yes.

Changed JIRA configuration for the screens in question, adding that field explicitly; it can now be edited directly from the issue view/change screen...

And the script now works. Voile'!

Thanks, Bob!

2 votes
Harjeet Singh September 10, 2018

I am also facing the same problem 

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"labels":"Field 'labels' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}} 

I am able to add/edit lables from the UI. But encountered this error message when tried to import test cases from zephyr utility. 

Note: I am using the same login account in UI and Zephyr Utility

Thanks in Advance

1 vote
Gevorg Margaryan August 20, 2019

Hello.
Unfortunately I have the same issue but suggested answer does not help me. The user is able to edit label from UI but with rest api it fails, also the same user is able to add label in another project.
Is there anything else to check/try?

Thanks in Advance

Scott Wright November 11, 2020

Did you ever get this resolved?

1 vote
lglalonde October 30, 2015

I've been banging my head against the wall because of the deaded:

"Field 'labels' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown".

despite the fact that labels were there and I could edit them for within Jira.

And then I realized I was using Admin credentials for my cURL call... And the JIRA Admin, in my case, does NOT have "Edit Issue" privileges... Allowing Administrators to edit issues solved it for me. Hoping this helps!

jhuynh August 25, 2020

I ran into this issue too! You'd think `admins` by default have the ability to edit issues, but in some projects, this is not the case. Adjusting the admin permissions allowed me to edit labels. Phew.

Suggest an answer