Problem closing different project sprints

Nara_ACE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 22, 2020

I'm having trouble closing the sprint of one project board because Jira is simultaneously closing the sprint of another project board.

probably is there any link between the boards?

3 answers

0 votes
Santiago Castro
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 13, 2023

@Trudy Claspill  @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I have another question:

What happen if I close a sprint from a "sub board" (a board that do not includes all the issues inside the sprint)?

the whole sprint is closed or just the part inside the corresponding board? know what I mean?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023

If you have a single sprint being used in multiple boards, the sprint is closed for all boards. 

Like Santiago Castro likes this
Santiago Castro
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 13, 2023

thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2023

Yep, there's no such thing as "sub boards". 

Sprints belong to a board, but can be worked on in other boards.

0 votes
Disha Raheja March 4, 2023

Nara is right it has been happening to me as well, with boards that have similar issue layout and workflow within the company managed boards. It even syncs the name

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2023

It's the same answer as it was 3 years ago.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

Sprints do not belong to projects, they are separate individual entities, like issues are.

It's not "closing a sprint of another project", it's closing a sprint.  One that happens to be across projects and boards.

Nara_ACE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2020

We have two projects, of the classic type, which must be independent, however, when we finish Sprint 1 of Project 1, sprint 1 of Project 2 is also completed automatically. Is there any place to check for this interference?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

I do not know any way to answer this without seeming condescending, rude or un-empathetic.   That said.

Sprints do not belong to projects, they are separate individual entities.  When you close a sprint, you close that sprint.  If that sprint appears for project 1 and project 2, then both projects will regard it as open or closed as you have set it.

Again, the sprints are not project things.  The sprints are independent.

Like Nara_ACE likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2020

@Nara_ACE 

Looking at your conversation with Nic, I wonder if you have created two sprints with identical names of "Sprint 1".

JIRA does not prevent creating multiple sprints with the same name, from different boards' Backlog screens. Each one gets a unique identifier in the database, but that identifier doesn't display anywhere except in a Search JQL statement.

Also, JIRA does not prevent you from adding issues that appear in one Board to the sprints that were created from another Board.

Sprints are created from Scrum Boards. The filter for your Scrum Boards may limit the issues in the board to only one project, but the Board does not belong to the project, and the sprint does not belong to the project. JIRA is built to allow a Board to span multiple projects, and unfortunately to allow issues to be added to a sprint even if they are not within the scope of the board where the sprint was created.

Also, a Board will show all the sprints associated to any issue within the scope of that Board.

You should be able if to tell if there are two different sprints sharing one name from the Issue Search screen by specifying Sprint= "Sprint 1" as the criteria. If there is more than one sprint with that name, then they both should show as options for you to choose for your search.

Like Nara_ACE likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events