Problem Previewing Attachments in Google Chrome

MAG-II March 27, 2018

Hello - 

I am having a problem previewing attachments in Google Chrome. When an attachment gets added to a JIRA Issue I am able to preview some of them, however, others I am not able to preview. It seems that the bigger the attachment, the more likely it cannot be previewed. I am simply left with a loading wheel, in which the attachment is attempting to be previewed. 

I tested previewing these attachments in Firefox, and they all work fine. It seems just be a problem with Google Chrome. Chrome is my preferred browser, and I would like to stick with it through my JIRA processes. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can make all attachments able to be previewed in Google Chrome? I am running JIRA Core version 7.5.0

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2018

I would be interested to see what the browser console shows in Chrome when trying to load this image/preview.   If you have never used this before there is a quick rundown of this feature in the Chrome browser here: https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/

I'd just want to see what shows in the log here.  If there are HTTP errors like 404, 400, etc, that could be a sign of a problem in regards to way either the request is being made or the way the content is unable to be displayed in the browser.

The fact this works in Firefox is just more strange.  That tends to indicate to me that it's probably not Jira, but its hard to say with what we know now.

perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com March 30, 2018

Hi Andrew - 

Thanks for the response. I looked at the link you sent and took a screenshot of the Chrome Console when attempting the preview the image. I think this is what you were asking about. If not, please let me know.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this department.

[image removed by moderator]

MAG-II March 30, 2018

Apologies for posting my response under a different account. Atlassian automatically logs me in via my old account. 

Any help/insight you may have for my problem would be much appreciated.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2018

Hi,

I removed that image because it appeared to contain personal information.  But from looking at those console logs, I can't see a clear problem here.

I did notice that this is a pdf file.  These are not exactly images in most cases, so I would be interested to see if this is only effecting PDF files in Jira or not.

It might also help to click the Network tab in that browser console to see if the request is still in progress, or if there was a timeout error of some kind. 

Additionally, it might help if you can generate a HAR file in the browser when this happens.

MAG-II March 30, 2018

Thanks for getting rid of that image. I've clicked the Network tab in the Console, and it shows nothing. Simply reads "Recording network activity..."

I'll look into the link you provided to learn how to generate a HAR file. Until then, have a great weekend.

Faisal Shamim August 7, 2019

Hello, I am also having issues in viewing my attachment on chrome and firefox . I am using Jira Servide Desk Cloud. any solution and workaround?

Thanks, Faisal

0 votes
jordanb June 21, 2022

Similar issue for me. Starting today, I am unable to save or view attachments that are added directly to the description field in Chrome and Safari. It works in Firefox.

This was not an issue last week.

0 votes
Setenay İnal March 14, 2022

I have the same problem. I need to check previous steps and take screenshots over and over again. I had to do the same job again because of this bug. I really get tired of it. Please help. Thanks. 

Suggest an answer