Printing Epic paper cards from board

Johanna_Torstensson January 15, 2018

Q: How can I print the Epic cards from the board in JIRA in the same format as Storys and Tasks?

I use the functionality of printing each Story and Task into paper cards from the Kanban board, by choosing the option to "print cards" at the 3 dots in the upper right corner on the board view in JIRA. The high level info at the cards are perfect  to put on the wall in the team area for transperancy purpose. But I can not find the option to print the Epic cards as well?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Aidy Love
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2018

HI @Johanna_Torstensson

Epic cards should also be included in your print preview / job if they are visible on the Kanban board which you are printing
(I ran a quick epic test to confirm). 
The format of cards is hard-fixed for all issue types which are printed using the native option. 

On that, perhaps you'll find our app - Agile Cards for Jira may suit your card design and printing requirements better.

With the Agile Cards' flexible layout designer, you can adjust formatting and placement of all data fields and labels that are present in your Jira issues.
Here's a preview of the current design template we use for our own team board -

ac_1.png

And how it is output -

ac_2.png
The alien looking code on the right margin is for board synchronisation. 

Once you have a design of your own set, it can also be saved as a template for recurring use.

For a helping start, we have a set of predefined templates for backlog refinement, planning and team boards too. šŸ‘

Thanks for the quick reply! All Epics are in the Epics panel on the left of the board and backlog i.e. not included in the board/backlog itself. So since all Epics are in the Epics panel instead of showing on the board, I do not know how to print the Epics.
(I am using the new JIRA design Atlassian recently released.)

Aidy Love
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 15, 2018

'All Epics are in the Epics panel on the left of the board and backlog i.e. not included in the board/backlog itself.'

Ok, cheers for the extra info!
In this case the backlog is enabled for your Kanban board, so epics get pulled / displayed in the left-most panel, rather than on the board itself. 

With this configuration, you can print epics via the issue search with the following search query (filters by project too) - 

issuetype = Epic AND project = "Demonstration Project"

To run a search for epic issue types you can navigate to:

Issues
        ā”” All issues
                          ā””Advanced search
                                                        ā”” Query search

Here's a gif preview of the navigation to help too.

If in turn you would rather have epics shown on your board (instead of the side-panel), then you can toggle this option in your board settings (valid for both Cloud & Server). 
With epics on the board, they'll also be included within each print queue / job.

Hope that helps!

Hi, 

I followed you instructions but unfortunately there where no option to print Epic cards from this advanced search either. I got the list of all Epics in the project, but no further option to print them as presentable cards. I could only print the Epic list or print the detailed info och each Epic. But no cards as you can print from the board view.

Regards,

Johanna

Aidy Love
Marketplace Partner
January 15, 2018

Hi @Johanna_Torstensson

Sincere apologies, I had confused the print view options that are available with Agile Cards, with the native option in Jira. šŸ˜‘
The former has printing available in backlog, board and issue navigator views, whereas Jira only has it in the board view. 

To solve this, you could either toggle the epics panel off in your column management settings (board settings menu) - img ref below

Epics+panel

With epics panel off, epics will then be displayed as issues on the board where they can be printed as any other story / task can. 

Alternatively, if you'd like to have a bit more flexibility for this process, you can give Agile cards a test-run for free (30 days). 

Hope this solves your issue and apologies again for the initial mix-up. 

Kind regards, 
Aidy

Many thanks for your input! Yes, to disable the Epic panel is probably the best way to deal with the challenge to print the Epics as printout cards.

Cheers,

Johanna

Torsten KrĆ¼ger May 25, 2018

Hi @Aidy Love,

Could you please verify from which JIRA version your screenshot was taken?

As I was not able to find this option in the Column management in JIRA v7.9.1 server version, I would assume that this option is only available in cloud version.

Kind regards,

Torsten

Suggest an answer