Print/export issue to PDF (via CTRL-P) gives only 1 page

Sandra Meessen October 29, 2018

Hello,

We upgraded to Jira v7.11 this weekend and now we see that printing (via CTRL-P) an issue to PDF gives only one page of the issue, not all pages. And next to that, only the "comments" tab is added in the printlayout, not the other tabs like "all", "activity", "history", etc. Is this a setting that we missed or what's going on? In our previous version CTRL-P gave all pages printed to PDF. We need the functionality to print/export issues to PDF quite urgently, so upfront already thanks a lot for the help. 

Screenprint tabs.JPG

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 29, 2018

Hi Sandra,

I believe this is a known issue.  Please see the bug report in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-62377

There do appear to be a few different work-arounds here that might help.  From that bug ticket:

Workaround

There are workarounds:

1. Use Printable option at Export button instead of using the right-click option.
  2. Append ?filter=-1 to the URL removes the sidebar and allow printing all the pages.
  3. Thanks to Zachary from the comments below, you can add this Javascript on the Announcement Banner:
    <style type="text/css">
    @media print {
    .issue-view

{ overflow-y: visible !important; }
    }
    </style>

Any one of these methods could be used to get past this problem for the time being.   I would recommend watching that bug ticket for updates as well.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Sandra Meessen October 30, 2018

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your quick response and tips.

Your option 1 doesn't do the trick unfortunately. Next to only printing 1 page, also the content of the different tabs, like "activity" and "all" is not printed, only the content of the "comments" tab. We really need the complete content of the "all" tab in the PDF. 

Do I understand your option 2 correct by adding "?filter=-1" to the URL of my issue? And then via CTRL-P all pages are viewed and printed in PDF? It seems to work! 

We use the announcement banner to give a message to all users of our Jira. Can we combine the coding you give at your option 3 with our textmessage?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2018

Yes, you can just add that style tag to your announcement banner in order to make that html code appear on every page in Jira.   This would also be for all users, so I would agree it seems like the best work-around for the time being.

Sandra Meessen October 30, 2018

Thank you Andrew, for your quick and clear response. I'm checking with technical colleagues to incorporate the announcement banner option in our Jira. 

Sandra Meessen October 31, 2018

Hi Andrew, I'm going to use the Announcement Banner option, easier for my users. Can I add a line of comment to that piece of coding you gave me? Then my other admin colleagues also know what the coding was for . Thanks!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2018

Yes, that's a very good idea.   You could do something like this:

<!-- This is to work-around a printing bug JRASERVER-62377  -->
<style type="text/css">
@media print {
.issue-view

}
</style>

End users won't see this code or message, but it will something Jira admins can see in the edit announcement banner section.

1 vote
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 28, 2019

@Sandra Meessen

If you need to export issues from Jira frequently, you could give our app, Better PDF Exporter for Jira a try! It a more stable, professional and highly customizable way of creating PDF documents from any Jira (or third-party app) data.

Take a look on the Marketplace >>

0 votes
Lars Barthel August 31, 2022

Hello there!

The only thing left after trying all the workarounds mentioned here was to mark everything from the upper left corner of the report down to the end of the report, then right-click on the blue area (the marked items) and select print. Now all the pages will be shown in the print view.

Not a very good looking solution, I know, but at least you can print all the pages now.

Cheers,

Lars

0 votes
Sigrid Schoepel April 28, 2022

Though this is an older thread, none of these solutions work currently for me in Jira Cloud.

I did find this Chrome extension works if you scroll all the way to the bottom of your issue before asking it to print (it seems to miss the bottom if you don't scroll all the way). It is working well enough that I can capture a project set up with multiple link fields that are needed for an official record.

GoFullPage

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gofullpage-full-page-scre/fdpohaocaechififmbbbbbknoalclacl/related

I am not affiliated with the app, I just found it and thought I'd pass it along.

David Croenne September 5, 2022

Thanks a lot, works fine!

This is the only way for me to have the whole pages export.

Scott Ferguson August 1, 2023

brilliant - thank you.

0 votes
Justin Whitehead October 14, 2019

Since you cannot edit the announcement banner in Jira Cloud, how do us Cloud users resolve this problem?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 15, 2019

Hi Justin,

This particular issue only applies to Jira Server.  We do not have a corresponding bug report for Jira Cloud for this specific root cause to the best of my knowledge. If you are seeing this happen on a Jira Cloud site, then we would want you file a support request on this over in https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

This way our Cloud support team can work with you to identify the source here.  Support could create a new bug report if need be, but depending on the specific location within Jira Cloud there might be some other steps that could be taken to address this problem.

Andy

Craig Finch February 15, 2021

The Javascript workaround described above is required to print the entire issue in Jira Cloud as of February 2021. However, since you cannot inject the CSS into the banner, you have to use your browser's developer tools to inject the CSS on each individual issue, after the issue page is fully loaded. This process is a hassle, but it's the only option if you don't have the admin privileges to install a plugin.

In Chrome, open Developer Tools and use the inspector-stylesheet to inject the CSS (without the HTML script tags):

@media print {
.issue-view

}

Here is more info about how to do that in Chrome: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49586990/fastest-way-to-add-a-new-blank-stylesheet-in-chromes-inspector-developer-tool

Local overrides should, in theory, allow the style to persist across page loads, but that hasn't worked for me.

Suggest an answer