Price upgrade for oracle JDK in 2019

Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

Hi,

Oracle will change 2019 the free JDK into a paid version.
See: https://www.aspera.com/en/blog/oracle-will-charge-for-java-starting-in-2019/

Who must pay the costs if we (and our customers) using JIRA on a server?
Atlassian or we as server admins? Or the costs included in your JIRA license?

Thank.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2018

I would recommend checking out the community thread of Java 11 and OpenJDK support for Atlassian Server & Data Center products. In it, one of our product management team members explains Atlassian's plan moving forward in regards to our Server products. 

TLDR: it looks like Atlassian Server products will start supporting the OpenJDK platform in the future.  

Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2018

But what happen with server we not update? It stays free?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2018

For Atlassian licensing, our server products have historically had a perpetual license.  Meaning you can continue to operate that product indefinitely without additional costs in licensing from Atlassian, you simply won't have access to support or upgrades.  The same is not true of data center or cloud deployment types.

But even in that case of Server product licensing, I can't speak for Oracle in regards to their own license changing here.  I don't expect there would be an additional licensing cost for running a previous version of Java, but perhaps Oracle would interpret this differently.   From reading this article: https://www.infoworld.com/article/3284164/java/oracle-now-requires-a-subscription-to-use-java-se.html and https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/javasesubscriptionfaq-4891443.html

It sounds like you would need a subscription to Oracle in order to get Java updates or support.   However if you do not require either of these for Java I believe you can continue to operate the older version without an additional cost.  But I could be wrong about that. 

Unix Team November 26, 2018

It sounds like you would need a subscription to Oracle in order to get Java updates or support.   However if you do not require either of these for Java I believe you can continue to operate the older version without an additional cost.

This is correct - I've just had it confirmed by Oracle.  You can run any version of Oracle Java that was made available before 2019 for as long as you like, but the first patch release for JDK 8 in 2019 will require a subscription (at the princely sum of $25USD per processor per month).  Pricing is publicly available on java.oracle.com.

Suggest an answer