Preformat Force Word Wrap

Joshua Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 13, 2021

When I utilize the preformat feature within the comment section I am unable to force word wrap so that there is no scroll bar.  I've included pic of how the comment looks as well as the actual syntax used:

Jira Comment01.jpgJira Comment02.jpg

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2021

Hi Joshua,

I see that you're using Jira Cloud and trying to make this text appear with line breaks inside that {noformat} tag.  I suspect that the problem here could be the source where this text is copied from is not actually using a carriage return or line break between lines.  But instead it could be using some other whitespace character.

I tried to recreate the problem you described here, but so far I have not been able do so.  I created an example that appears to be vaguely similar to your example:

{noformat}
cat /home/postgres/database/example_example.sql | PGAPPNAME='example_changes' psql -a -h
echo 'hello world'
/var/lib/pgsql/dba/example/text.out 2>&1
{noformat}

In turn this does appear to show linebreaks in my testing, like so:

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 2.00.17 PM.png

Perhaps you can edit that comment and add your own line breaks by adding them in manually.  If this text is being copied from another system, and that seems like these are some kind of linux/unix shell commands, it could be that the shell is using a different character here for a line break.

Let me know if this helps.

Andy

Joshua Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 15, 2021

Andy,

That was extremely helpful and insightful!  And yes I am copying from a Linux window.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events