Pre-Established Defined Ticket Fields

scott May 7, 2024

In creating a project board for future tickets, is it possible to create quality checks around the tickets, specifically to the point of creating a form and only allowing a ticket to be submitted when pre-populated fields have been included (nothing more, nothing less)? Thank you! 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2024

Hi, @scott. Welcome to the community  šŸ‘‹

Maybe you can tell us why you think a form is the right answer to your issue?

Jira admins. can create or customize issue screens to include only the fields you want and/or make some or all fields required. Wouldn't that do the trick for you?

See this post and the answer by @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ for the details.

How to design the the "create new issue" screen?

I hope this helps,

-dave

scott May 8, 2024

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly, @Dave Rosenlund! What you tagged sounds like it could do the trick for me. Can I establish such fields on a per-project basis? In other words, my goal is to create a specific project and within it only allow an "issue" to be submitted when specific fields within are completed. Any help is appreciated!

Like ā€¢ Dave Rosenlund likes this
scott May 14, 2024

Just checking in to see if you have any additional thoughts here @Dave Rosenlund  Thanks in advance!

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

Hi, @scott. I'm sorry that I missed your first reply.

There are some hacks I've seen people do, but I would advise against them. It's far better to live with the Jira capabilities that you're given and customize things with the available options.

A simple hack that isn't too crazy would be to create new issue typesā€”e.g., Tasks, Bugs, etc.,ā€”at the Story level.  Keep the number to a minimum, but then you can create different create screens for each new issue type at the story level. That way non-devs can have Tasks while devs have Stories and QA has Bugs, for example.

For other, more sensible per-project customizations, Atlassian created "team managed" projects (vs. company-managed).  But with team-managed projects only certain things can be customized on the team level.  The create screen is not one of them. 

Read up on that Team vs. Company topic -- it may get you to where you need to and keep your number of custom issue types to a minimum.

-dave

Like ā€¢ scott likes this
scott May 14, 2024

Thank you - I appreciate it!

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2024

Hi, @scott . If the info provided set you on the right path, please accept the answer. This way someone searching on this topic will know this information was helpful to you and might be to them as well.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events