Post-function "Copy value from other field" does not work with target field "Description"

Ronny Steinbrenner November 11, 2019

Hi all,

I'm having troubles with using the post function "Copy value from other field" when target field is the build in "Description" field in Jira.

The source field is a multi-line text field. 

(Note: when I use a post-function with same source field and a custom field of type multi-line as target, everything works as expected.)

Can someone help me solving this issue?  

Thanks in advance,

Ronny

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 12, 2019

Hello Ronny,

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

I understand that you are configuring the post function "Copy value from other field" to copy the value from a custom text field to your issue's description, however, it is not working.

Can you please confirm if the post function is configured in the create transition of the workflow?

Indeed, we have a bug reported about this behavior:

Post function "copy value from other field" does not work on create transition for Description field 

If that's what you are facing, feel free to vote and watch the bug to receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, you can configure the post function in a different transition.

Now, if you are configuring the post function in a different transition, please let us know and we will further investigate it.

Ronny Steinbrenner November 13, 2019

Hi Petter,

thanks for your response and your investigation.

The reported bug is exactly the behavior I'm facing and I can confirm i's the *create transition* I configured the post-function.

Thanks for proposing a workaround! Unfortunately it won't fit my use-case and I would need to copy to description field in *create transition*.

I'll watch the reported bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-73381 and hope you can fix it soon. 

Thanks a lot for your support!

btw.: Should I "Accept" your answer i this thread or leave it unanswered till the bug is fixed? 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

You are welcome, @ronny

Since there are no further actions we can do right now but to wait for the developers to fix the bug, feel free if you want to accept my answer.

Again, thank you for your understanding.

ronny November 13, 2019

Hi @Petter Gonçalves , I assume you wanted to mention @Ronny Steinbrenner  ;)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 13, 2019

Indeed. Sorry for that, Ronny!

Suggest an answer