Post Function: Resolution doesn't change

maryna.antonova May 20, 2019

Hi,

I have several resolutions for Done status: None, Done, Won't do, Duplicate, Cannot Reproduce.

When I change the status to Done and choose a Resolution(e.g Duplicate) the Resolution in the ticket doesn't change.

I've added a Post function to the Transition "Done" following this instruction:

But when I publish the changes to the Workflow, I see no changes if I choose a different resolution.

Could you please help?

Thanks

3 answers

2 votes
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2019

@maryna.antonova , it looks like where that post function is might be stomping on your selection at transition. As I understand it, if you were to have a transition screen that lets you set the resolution and choose one, then have one that late in the PF order of operations, that last one overwrites the one you put in the transition screen.

Generally, I only have one or the other; a resolution screen that one chooses at transition time or not at all and have it forced like you show it in the PF list. I know, also it didn't complain, but I would also tend to put that one rather farther up in the list of PFs rather than after the issue is written and re-indexed. 

0 votes
Ashley Morschen October 2, 2019

Did anyone find a solution to this? It's working fine for one my projects, but I'm setting up a new project and I cannot get the resolution to set.

I put it at the top of the post function list (1st picture), verified that the resolution of "Declined" is correctly configured as a resolution (2nd picture), I even tried having the resolution set to the default "Done" but it still did not work (3rd picture). 

I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've found on Google - to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks2019-10-02_9-38-27.png2019-10-02_9-42-39.png2019-10-02_9-43-04.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

There are actually two problems in the original screenshot, I assume they have both been fixed by the poster.

First, the post-function to set a resolution should fall before the functions to change history, index and so-on.

Second, the phrase "The Resolution of the issue will be set to none".  This tells us that @Mike Rathwell and @Thomas Schlegel  were correct in that the poster has added a resolution called "none" to the list of options.  If they had set up the function to empty out the resolution, it would actually read "The Resolution of the issue will be cleared" (note the change of verb structure as well as "cleared" in there)

Ashley Morschen October 2, 2019

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- The screenshots I provided are from the project I am working with, where the resolution still won't set. To my understanding, the post-function to set a resolution does fall before the functions to change history, index, etc. 

Are you suggesting I create a brand-new post since the issues are not the same?

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 2, 2019

There were no screenshots when I commented.  Yours look absolutely correct and don't have any of the same problems the original did, and I'm not sure where to look next!

So, yes, I would raise your question separately - replies here only go to people who are watching (the original poster, people who clicked watch, or have responded), and this could do with a much wider audience.  I would add a new line to it to say that you do not have a custom field called "Resolution" as well (as I'm 99% certain you'll have checked that after reading the post above!)

Like Ashley Morschen likes this
0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

Hi @maryna.antonova ,

did you create a custom field called "Resolution"?

maryna.antonova May 20, 2019

No, resolutions are set in ISSUE ATTRIBUTES

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

I think @Mike Rathwell  is right. You should set the resolution farther up in the list of the post-functions. That might be the problem. The resolution is written after the status changed to done. I think, this won't work.

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2019

@maryna.antonova , I did a bit more digging and ran across this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-statuses-resolutions-and-priorities-776636333.html where they have the warning box stating "Don't name resolutions "Unresolved" or "None" as it will confuse the system.

Perhaps try renaming that resolution to "No Resolutions' or something similar and see if that un-confuses Jira and lets it get the semantic meaning of your resolution posted.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

Jira's term for "No resolution" is "unresolved" - unless you set any other resolution, the resolution will display "Unresolved" 

Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2019

@Thomas Schlegel  good call... it is fussy that way. Perhaps another semantically similar meaning that doesn't include the word "resolution" at all such as "Can't Fix", "Not Fixed", Out of luck" or something... 

Suggest an answer