Possible to search on open issues that have all subtasks completed?

Ken Hymes August 7, 2012

Using JIRA 5.1.1, I'm stumped trying to create a JIRA search filter that will show me all open parent issues that have subtasks that are all completed? Is there a way to create this query in JQL?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ian D August 8, 2012

Hi, I wouldn't attempt a JQL to do that - probably pushing the limits. But a quick alternative might be to:

• Write the JQL to select only the parent tasks you're interested in.
  • Add the "Sub-tasks" column to the filter results view.

This will list the sub-tasks. Resolved sub-tasks have a strikethrough, unresolved ones not. This way you can visually spot those. Depending on the size of your jira project ... it could be arduous or useful.

Another workaround option - if you have Greenhopper - would be to use a RapidBoard with a fillter which selects the Parent and Sub-tasks your interested in. Then apply a quickfilter on the rapidBoard along the lines of:

• type in subTaskIssueTypes() AND resolution = Unresolved

This should leave on the view only the sub-tasks (including/indicating its parent).

I hope this is helpful!

Disclosure: Not associated with atlassian or any partners in any way, just a regular jira joe.

Ken Hymes August 8, 2012

Ian, that's another novel approach! Thanks for the reco, and I'll lyk how this works out for us....

Ken Hymes August 9, 2012

Ian, very useful alternatives -- thank you! I did notice that after running my issue filter and adding subtasks column, the closed subtasks did not appear with a 'strikethrough' as expected. They appeared to not be closed, until you clicked on the parent and then the subtasks correctly showed they were closed. Any ideas as to why I don't get the proper view in the Issues filter result? Could that be because my subtask STATUS = closed, but the RESOLUTION = unresolved?

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

Not possible without a plugin. Please see the following answer though even though the it is for 5.0.X releases.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/43298/searching-for-subtasks-of-parents-that-meet-certain-criteria

Ken Hymes August 8, 2012

Thanks for the reference, Norman. I will pass this along to our admin to see if we can get it installed...

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

Make sure your admin tests things out on a test system. The new 5.1 functionality is causing many plugins to have issues.

0 votes
Константин Козлов March 25, 2021

issueFunction IN parentsOf('statusCategory in (Done)') AND issueFunction NOT IN parentsOf('statusCategory in ("To Do","In Progress")')

0 votes
Hassan Saleem November 13, 2013

There is no need for any Plugin..

Switch to "advance" filter option and enter

status in ("Open") AND parent in (PHX-xxx,ENG-xxx)

It will give you all the open tickets present as a subtask in parent JIRAS. Build more complex and enjoy using JIRA. Advance filter options will also give you all possible values to build Queries.

Please comment if its helpful.

Regards.

Hassan Saleem

Quality Control Engineer

Wellogic. U.A.E

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

If only you could do that when there are hundred of thousands of issues matching the criteria.

0 votes
Csaba Kőpataki February 5, 2013

How can I search on open issues that have all subtasks completed? Witch JQL functions provide this for me?

Suggest an answer