Possible to monitor plugin performance within JIRA?

Backstory: We have monitoring configured on our JIRA instance that monitors memory (heap commited, used, code cache size, amount used etc), disk space, read/write speed, threads allocated / used, we monitor cpu usage overall and on a per core basis, etc.

Ask: The one item I really feel is missing, the one that I want to monitor most of all is individual plugin performance.

Does anyone know of a way to dive deeper to get stats on what each plugin in JIRA is taking away (CPU, memory, threads)?

-Jason

1 answer

One thing that comes to my mind is get thread dumps + CPU information and check the percentage of CPU a given thread is using. You can do this with the following command: ps -Lo pcpu,pid,lwp -p 15503 (where 15503 is the proccess id).

Then you can map the thread that refers to the classes of a given plugin and compare with the CPU info.

The secret is that you need to convert the nid from the threads and convert to decimal. Example:

"ajp-bio-8085-exec-835" daemon prio=10 tid=0x000000001f1ac000 nid=0x3471 runnable [0x00000000658a9000]
   java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE

nid=0x3471 is 13425, which can be used against the CPU information:

$ grep 13425 jira-cpu-usage-09_1*
%CPU   PID   LWP
15.2 17314 13425

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

106 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you