Possible to manually add a BitBucket commit to JIRA issues?

I forgot to add the Issue key to a commit message the other day. Is there any way to manually attach/link that commit to the issue in JIRA (as if I had included the issue key in the commit message)?

I know there are ways of changing the commit message through git, but the general rule of thumb is not to do it with commits which have already been pushed......

If this isn't currently possible, it would be a great feature to add!!

9 answers

1 accepted

If a commit has been already "pushed" then you can't edit it (as far as I know). But JIRA DVCS connector can only sync commits which contains issue keys, but you might consider adding a commit with something like "to sync with JIRA".

All the best.

Thanks Razaq, but my goal is to get the changed code from the earlier commit to appear in the issue's comments. Unless I'm missing something, even if I perform another commit with the issue's key, the relevant code (from the earlier commit) won't appear in the issue as the new commit will not include the old changes....

Had a feeling this wouldn't be possible, but could it be considered as a new feature? It surely shouldn't be too hard to show a list of recent BitBucket commits and then link a commit - and the changed code - with a specific issue in JIRA?

Would be great if you can submit a feature request in the DVCS Connector issue tracker. You might need to setup an account before you be able to.

Doing that now, thanks Razaq.

+1 On that feature request. I can try to get my devs to link during the commit but people are certainly going to forget periodically.

+1 here as well. This is a real pain when you have previous commits that you want to associate with a ticket. Sometimes tickets are created after a fix is done to keep history after an emergency fix, etc.

+1 here as well.

+1 here as well!

old issue, current need

+1

Older messages have to be force pushed - in the link you provided, even, this is what they say, 

We strongly discourage force pushing, since this changes the history of your repository. If you force push, people who have already cloned your repository will have to manually fix their local history. For more information, see "Recovering from upstream rebase" in the Git manual.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

290 views 3 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you