Possible to create a new ticket via a button click or workflow transition and link it to existing ticket?

The need to automate some tedious repetitive tasks in JIRA came up. As part of how our company works, we create a LOT of tickets that are related to other tickets. For example, a new feature would have it's own ticket, and a database patch that needs to go with the new feature requires another ticket for the DBAs that is then linked to the feature ticket. Is it possible to have a button in a ticket or a workflow transition that creates a new ticket and links it to the ticket you clicked the button or transitioned? I think it's easy to do with the REST api, but I was hoping there may be a way to do this inside JIRA. 

Also, another thing we're trying to automate is if you find a defect in a ticket, we want to create a new ticket where the user can select which project the new ticket should be in (via button click). The new ticket should then be linked to the ticket the default ticket was found in. It's very similar to my first question, only you need the ability to select which project the new ticket will be created in.

2 answers

1 accepted

1. You can use the Create Issue or Create Subtask post functions from Create on Transition for JIRA to automate things like this as part of a transition. In some cases, we used a workflow transition (that didn't change the status of the issue) to do this kind of stuff. There is a field for adding a link.
  2. For your second request, another alternative is to add an issue action using a customized clone action from Clone Plus for JIRA. Reference is Customization Information

I like the Clone Plus plugin, but my budget is 0. One day I'll get to use all your plugins!

Hi,

Take a look at the Exocet plugin, I'm quite sure it can solve some of these issues for you.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.jira.plugins.exocet.jira-plugin-exocet-pro

Regards,

Joachim

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

685 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you