Possible to create a new ticket via a button click or workflow transition and link it to existing ticket?

mc March 4, 2015

The need to automate some tedious repetitive tasks in JIRA came up. As part of how our company works, we create a LOT of tickets that are related to other tickets. For example, a new feature would have it's own ticket, and a database patch that needs to go with the new feature requires another ticket for the DBAs that is then linked to the feature ticket. Is it possible to have a button in a ticket or a workflow transition that creates a new ticket and links it to the ticket you clicked the button or transitioned? I think it's easy to do with the REST api, but I was hoping there may be a way to do this inside JIRA. 

Also, another thing we're trying to automate is if you find a defect in a ticket, we want to create a new ticket where the user can select which project the new ticket should be in (via button click). The new ticket should then be linked to the ticket the default ticket was found in. It's very similar to my first question, only you need the ability to select which project the new ticket will be created in.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015
  1. You can use the Create Issue or Create Subtask post functions from Create on Transition for JIRA to automate things like this as part of a transition. In some cases, we used a workflow transition (that didn't change the status of the issue) to do this kind of stuff. There is a field for adding a link.
  2. For your second request, another alternative is to add an issue action using a customized clone action from Clone Plus for JIRA. Reference is Customization Information

mc March 6, 2015

I like the Clone Plus plugin, but my budget is 0. One day I'll get to use all your plugins!

0 votes
joachimbollen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2015

Hi,

Take a look at the Exocet plugin, I'm quite sure it can solve some of these issues for you.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.valiantys.jira.plugins.exocet.jira-plugin-exocet-pro

Regards,

Joachim

Suggest an answer