Possible to add a collapsible code block in Jira issue descriptions and comments?

Andrew _Zim_ Zimmerman _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2019

Hi! We just upgraded Jira Server from 7.2.7 to 7.12.3. We previously had the Jira Syntax Highlighter plugin enabled. From all the documentation I read, it seems that this plugin is no long supported and has been archived from the Marketplace, as it's not compatible with Rich Text Editor. As such, I disabled it in our instance.

Through this plugin, our users were able to add collapsible code blocks to comments and issue descriptions. Are there any alternatives that allow us to implement collapsible content since this add-on is no longer an option? Many of our users were quite disappointed to see this loss of functionality as they deemed it quite valuable.

Thank you so much for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
Currently, it's not possible to collapse text on Jira comments and description.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-65575
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.

Searching for workarounds, I found this thread from 2015 where a customer mentioned an add-on that may help you. It has the option "Expander" to expand and collapse a block of text. As it is from 2015, I'm not sure if it will work on the new version of Jira, but you can test:
- Quick Suggest Macros

Regards,
Angélica

Andrew _Zim_ Zimmerman _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

Hi, Angélica!

Thanks for this information. I'll keep an eye on that ticket. Also, regarding that Add-on you referred, I see that it's only officially supported/compatible up to Jira 7.9.2. Perhaps we'll test it out on our Staging environment anyway. But, hopefully a similar feature one day finds its way into a Jira release!

Thanks,

Andrew

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer