Possibility to have different statuses in a big organization?

Vigfus Andersson September 5, 2017

We have in my team only used the statuses Open, Prepare, In progress, Test and Done in columns To Do, In progress, Test and Done. To make it more granular I'd like to have columns something like

jira_1.PNG

and then create filters so each team basically only sees the relevant columns for them. So the Test team would see something like

To Do  -  UX  -  Code  -  Test To Do  - Test In Progress  -  Done

as they wouldn't be interested in the different UX/Code statuses.

I assume we would need to create specific statuses for all 8 (or how many statuses we end up with) columns in the picture above to make it work, but I'm in a big organization with hundred of users in Jira. Is it possible to achieve this for our project only? In other words, could we ask the global Jira administrator in our organization to add the statuses we need to achieve this without it disturbing all the other projects that are currently running?

If it works i guess it could turn ugly if every project gets it's own statuses. To avoid that the plan is to ask the teams for suitable statuses and then talk to the global Jira administrator so we one set of statuses that would work for the whole organization even though we initially might be the only team to use them.

1 answer

1 vote
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2017

Hi Vigfus

Yes this is certainly possible - your Jira Admin should know what to do and how to do it. What you're changing is the workflow (possibly for just one project?) - the admin can make a copy of your existing workflow and then extend it for the affected project(s).

Regards

Warren

Vigfus Andersson September 5, 2017

Thank you Warren!

Suggest an answer