Possibility of notifying users on create of issue by email in Jira

Geir Wiksén June 4, 2013

As I understand, when you set up a project that is used as a ticketing system and a user sends an email to the address the jira project picks up -The user is not notified of the issue created based on his default profile settings.

Is it possible to force this notification, regardless of his/her profile setting? I would like users to know which Jira task they to track after having sent the mail, or else the mail will go into a "big black hole" for most of our users.

3 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

There is no way to override the user profile setting. You will have to either make an interaction on the ticket by another user (maybe by adding comments or pushing through a dummy workflow status change) or write a custom code to send a standard notification whenever the issue is created.

0 votes
Geir Wiksén June 4, 2013

Yes, I wanted to aviod that. As we have other projects in Jira where the user does not want to get notified of their own actions. I wanted to force an "on create" email for this specific project only, without touching the user settings.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2013

You can set system wide settings for users to be notified of their own actions, then let users opt out via their own profile. if a user makes that choice, then let them.

You can then use the notification scheme to send an email back to the original user via the Reproter field, assuming they are a user of Jira.

Geir Wiksén June 4, 2013

Yes, I wanted to aviod that. As we have other projects in Jira where the user does not want to get notified of their own actions. I wanted to force an "on create" email for this specific project only, without touching the user settings

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2013

Suggest an answer