Populating values in dynamic/dependent dropdown list

Balwinder Singh July 18, 2021

I am looking for a way (whether automation/scripts/3rd party apps) to cover the following scenaio:

There are 2 drop-down list. The 1st one is named as "Project" and the second one is "Product". User would select one option from the "Project" list and based on the selection it should only show the relevant options in "Product" list.

For e.g. lets say Project has following options [Proj 1, Proj 2 , Proj 3] and Product has following options [Prod A, Prod B, Prod C, Prod Z].

For "Proj 1", the relevant products are only "Prod B" and "Prod C". So when the user selects "Proj 1" in the Project list then the Product list should only show "Prod B" and "Prod C" as options

We are using JIRA cloud and need to understand if this is possible and how we can proceed further?

Already looked into Scriptrunner, but that app isn't able to support this as Behaviors feature isn't available in JIRA cloud.

Thanks for your assistance.

1 answer

0 votes
Reply Test Group July 19, 2021

Hi @Balwinder Singh 

in CLOUD there is no way to have a dynamic dropdown list without using some external app like vLinks Cloud, and even that makes dropdown list fields filled with JQL search values only (a scripted list is no possible for now).

The only (static) way to do a similar thing, using Jira standard tools, is to create a custom field with type Select List (cascading) :

0.png

, setting parent and children values:

1.png2.png3.png

, so when you select a parent you can choose an extra child value:

4.png5.png6.png

You can even do JQL search on those values:7.png

I hope I helped you a bit ^^

Fabio

Balwinder Singh July 19, 2021

@Reply Test GroupThanks for the detailed answer.

Unfortunately in our case, the casading select list won't work as there might be other drop downs which depend on Project list.

I'll take a look at vLinks app. I'm happy to explore paid 3rd party apps as long as they are able to solve this dilemma. If you happen to know any other apps that would be helpful; then please share.

Again thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

Like Reply Test Group likes this
David Loszewski July 30, 2021

Following as I"m also looking for a lookup field app, Sharepoint does this without any problem.   Need a drop down field that you can auto populate based on a jql search.  

Suggest an answer