• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Populating custom fields based on ticket data

The title is a little vague. I'll explain my use case.

Let's say user1@contoso.com emails support, and it generates a ticket. Here's what I want to happen:

1. See "contoso.com" and change a custom field "Customer" to "Contoso Inc"
  2. See the customer is "Contoso Inc" and change custom field "Team" to "Team one"
  3. Assign the ticket to that team.

I have 1 working using ScriptRunner. I have a simple hash table that has all the customers and their domains. It gets the reporter email and sets the customer.

I could technically make another identical rule, with another hashtable with every customer, and the team associated with them, but that just seems dirty. I'd really like a way to store the associations outside a hash table in a Groovy script.

What I'd like to do, is store the customers in a DB, and have "Name", "Team" and "Domains" as fields. So if Customer = "Contoso Inc" then customer.team = "Team one" and link these in the custom field, so if "Customer" is set, it sets the team, and any other fields I add down the line.

I'm 100% open to using external plugins for this, just wanted to see if anyone has anything similar setup before hammering at it for the next few days.

2 answers

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh Community Leader Jan 25, 2021

@CHASE MAIMBOURG  If you already have 1 working, I think you can achieve 2 by creating an automation rule, using "Automation for Jira" add-on.
What you can basically do is to create an automation rule that gets triggered on issue updated event for your project, has multiple if/if-else conditions & corresponding actions (one for each Customer and Team combination). This rule should be able to check the value in "Customer" field as part of the condition and accordingly set up value of "Team" field as part of the action.

For this, you will first need to create your custom field "Team" with all the values, in Jira itself.

I hope this helps!

@Taranjeet Singh 

I definitely think that would work, but it would require 100+ else if statements, 1-2 per customer. With no good way to mass create those rules in the automation for jira gui, you can imagine the 2-3 clicks per else if could get very clunky..

Right now I have a hash table in a Scriptrunner script, but I'd really like to pull these from a database if possible

0 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Jan 25, 2021

Using the example of the Automation rule, you could use project properties as keypair storage. The developer document about entity properties has a bit more information about how the keypairs work.

Using a PUT call, you can set the key as the customer name, and the value as the team you want to use.

I'm happy to see you've got the customer mapping (#1 on your list) sorted with Scriptrunner. This is more or less the gist of JSDSERVER-4417 and JSDSERVER-4519 - you'd like the email domains to correspond with a particular customer/organization. I do see a couple Marketplace apps that help out in this area as well - I'd recommend looking through the Marketplace results but at the time of this answer I see a couple apps that claim to do the email association from their listings:

Since we're talking Automation, there's also a straightforward way to set this in an Automation rule. 

Now for the Automation trick - Automation can let you use variables as well as custom field data, and it can do REST API calls with the send web request action. You can have one send web request action in your rule that fetches your project property keypair data from Jira's own REST API, using the organization name as a variable in the request URL as the key. See documentation on the send web request action here - when running this rule you'll need to provide an account credential in the call that has permission to browse the Jira project. It doesn't have to be an admin like you'd need to do a PUT request, but you do need an account with at least browse permission on the project for the GET request to return with your keypair. The account credentials for this call are stored as header information in the rule - so anyone with project admin can retrieve them. Don't store your own account credentials here; but a limited-purpose service account should be ok.

The result from your GET request can be parsed using the webhookReponse smart value. This lets you use the value in further rules down the line - such as setting more custom field values or assigning the issue.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you