Populate summary field with value from a custom field

Jennie Peleback January 3, 2020

Hi

Trying to change the text in the Summary field after the issue is created by using a post function in the workflow - Update any Issue field function

I can manage to get the text updated but I can not add the value from my custom field - so, if I enter Test %customfield_15038% in the "field value" box the Summary field is update with that exact text - Test %customfield_15038%

If the custom field has a value of "PROD" - I would like the Summary to be updated with Test PROD...

Any thoughts on this is really appreciated :-)

We run Jira 7.13

2 answers

0 votes
Benjamin Weber -Beecom- January 20, 2020

Hi Jennie

If you want to copy the value from a custom field to the summary, you should use the Copy Value From Other Field post function.
It lets you select which fields to copy where, and whether you want to overwrite, append or prepend the value – you can even specify a separator between the existing and new value.

So if you want to copy the field – let's call it "Deployed to" – to the summary, you would select something like:

Deployed toSummaryPrepend-

And JSU will copy the value before the existing summary, e. g., PROD - User could not log in

If you need further help, our support team is always happy to help you: https://servicedesk-apps.beecom.ch/servicedesk/customer/portal/3

For more information on the Copy Value post function, see our documentation: https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/Copy+Value+From+Other+Field+Post-Function

Cheers,
Benjamin

0 votes
Andrej Freeze _ greenique
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

Hello Jennie,

what Apps are you using to achieve this? This does not seem to be a default functionality.

Using the Update Issue Field Postfunction, you can simply override the summary to a static text as far as I know. For the actions you are trying to perform, you will need to take a look at one of the following Apps:

1. Jira Miscellanious Workflow Extensions
  2. Automation for Jira Pro
  3. Jira Suite Uitilities
  4. Jira Workflow Toolbox

Cheers,

Andrej from greenique

Hi

So, we have a lot of extra Apps for example JSU Automation suite for Jira workflows, update on transition by Bob Swift

And I'm not using the Update Issue Field, but the Update any Issue field ( I have the Update Issue field option as well)
But it might be that you are correct, that it can only be updated with a static text and nod add the value from a custom field as well 

Thanks for your answer, though it was not what I hoped for :-)

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2020

Hey @Jennie Peleback 

well, since you have JSU it is for sure possible. Have you tried to entwer your value with %% before and after the variable? Then in addition, you can choose Append value, to add this value behind your original value.

Cheers,

Andrej from greenique

Yes that was my thoughts, it should work :-)

Mm, I have tried enter %, %% and '%% before and after - nothing works - it keeps updating it with the exact text I enter.
Was wondering if the variable is wrong, if it's not called customfield_idnumber anymore

But I tried using just the id number as well, and original_customfield_idnumber

And I've put the postfunction after the "Creates the Issue originally" to ensure the custom field has a value to add

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 3, 2020

You could also try the following if you have a technical user

1. Create a Transition from new to new.
  2. Place a condition, that only allows the technical user, or members of his group to execute this transition.
  3. Add the previous postfunction to this issue.
  4. Add the Follow Up Transition Postfunction to your create transition and select the newly created transition

Maybe this is a workaround that gets it done correctly. But in the end, maybe contacting their support staff will help you out. It could be that the type of custom field needs to be treated differently or that it is not supported yet.

Cheers,

Andrej

Suggest an answer