Populate select list from values in another project

Adam George March 22, 2021

I am really not sure this can be done out of the box but if anyone knows of any plugs ins or scripts that might accomplish this I would be extremely grateful. 

So I have Project A - this project contains issues which hold the Project information like Programme Manager, Project Name, Lead Admin and such like.

In Project B - I have a tool to request items for projects, within this project I have a field called project name, currently this has been to be kept in sync manually with records in Project A.

What I would like to know is, is there a way to set up a select field in Project B that returns only the unique values from the Project Name field in Project A?

2 answers

3 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021

Hi @Adam George

so what I understood is that you have in the Jira project A one issue for every project (not talking about Jira projects here) which contains the corresponding details for this non-Jira project.

In Jira Project B, you want to create issues and select the values from the various issues in project A.

I think Elements Connect could be one solution for you. You could configure the issues of project A as a data source for your Elements field. I'm not an Expert here, but I'm sure the Elements folks will be glad to pick it up from here.

Otherwise, since you've added the Jira Data Center tag, you could also think about modelling your projects inside the issues of Jira A in another way, and e.g. store them as Assets insight the bundled Asset Mgmt. But this probably depends on what you use these issues for.

Hope that helped a bit,
Matthias.

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021

Thanks for the recommendation @Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ 

@Adam GeorgeIf you want to give the app a try, our 15 minute Getting Started Guide will show you how to create Elements Connect fields that fetch data from the Jira database.

If you run into any difficulties setting up your use case, don't hesitate to contact our support team (or leave a message here).

1 vote
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2021

Hi,

You could try an addon like Element Connect

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/23337/elements-connect-external-data-fields?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview

This plugin allow you to populate customfield with data from external db, json, api or from Jira itself.

I think this can be done via Scriptrunner to but i'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events