Populate cascading value from parent issue

Gowri_Sankar November 19, 2019

Hi,

We are using the same custom field of cascading list type in both the parent and the sub task. But on clicking create sub task we need to populate the selected cascading custom field from parent to the child. 

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the values.

1 answer

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2019

Create a new workflow that you'll assign only to the subtasks of your proyect and on the very first transition (create) add a postfunction called  COPY VALUE FROM OTHER FIELD. When you click next you'll have to select the origin and target field and be sure of also clicking in the checkbox COPY FROM PARENT.

I don't remember if that transition is availiable in vanilla Jira. If not, it comes in some free plugin. Please look in the market place and you'll find it. 

PS_ I've just checked the market place and found out Copy to Subtask Plugin. I know this isn't the one I've used in the past but it seems to do exactly what you need so you might want to give it a try.

Gowri_Sankar November 21, 2019

Hi @Iago Docando ,

Thanks for the suggestion. But is there a way to do the same using the script. I managed to get the parent and the child value from the parent and having trouble on setting the value.

Any adivse

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

I've never used script runner.

I can only assume it must be fairly easy to achieve, based on the many things that the script allows you to do, but in any case I'll refer to any person with more knowledge on the matter than I have.

Feel free to try my suggestion if nothng else comes up but I'm sure someone with the answer you're looking for will find you.

Best of luck :)

Suggest an answer