Populate JIRA dropdown based upon selected value in another dropdown

Steven Lundahl May 6, 2012

Is it possible to populate a dropdown box based upon the selected value in another dropdown?

For example, we have multiple software projects and each has its own distinct attributes like build versions and subcomponents.

Right now we use separate projects for each software system and it is a bit of a management nightmare since users enter their issue in a public "master" project and our support department then moves those into the appropriate software system-specific project where they are worked on and managed.

We would like to use a single JIRA project for all of our software projects but each system has different build numbers, different subcomponents, etc.

Thus, if software system A is selected which has build numbers 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, we would like the build dropdown to be populated with those build numbers and not with any other system's build numbers. Likewise, the subsystems/components dropdown should be populated with the components of that software system.

Can we do this? How?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

I guess this is not completely achievable in the way you want. A close solution will be a "Cascading Select" custom field, even though this still needs you to manage the sync between the project versions and the values inside this cascading select.

https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.sourcesense.jira.plugin.cascadingselect

Another option is to use the Behaviours Plugin and allow the user to use free text fields for entering the Component and Version and add a server side validation to check whether these values are actually okay or not.

Steven Lundahl May 8, 2012

Thanks Renjith. I saw the Behaviors Plugin which might have some uses for us but we need the dropdown capability to eliminate guesswork. I'll take a closer look at the Cascading Select to see if that might work for us.

Kota Sreenivasa Shravana Kumar March 2, 2016

Steve -

We have a similar requirement and I appreciate if you can share the implementation. 

Thanks ! 

TungNga Vo March 9, 2017

Steve,

we have the same requirement also. I really appreciate if you can share how you did it

thanks

0 votes
SimonS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2013

It would require manually keeping track of your build numbers and project ID, but you can acheive this using JavaScript in JIRA;

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Displaying+a+Field+Based+on+Another+Field+Selection

This might be a lighter-weight solution than a plugin.

-Simon

Suggest an answer