Plugins which are used / not used

Martin Buchleitner May 21, 2013

Is there a possibliity to check which plugins are really used? ( in workflows, fields, .... )

We are checking the compatibility of our plugin list to Jira 6.0 and this question came up ... I guess, this question is not soooo new ;)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

There is no way that will be common across all plugins... eg:

For plugins that provide workflow functions, scan the XML of all workflows looking for the classnames in the plugin.

If you find any verify that those workflows are in use, and how many issues (recently updated preferably) use those workflows.

Possibly you might find even that the functions are used on a rarely-taken path in the workflow.

For custom fields count the number of instances and the number of values in those fields.

For plugins that add attachments, eg balsamiq, gliffy, count the number of attachments of the particular file type, eg .bmml.

In short, no easy way. Or, modify all plugins to call out to google analytics when they are invoked.

Here's another method that is disturbingly common in many organisations - disable the plugin and see what breaks or who complains.

Martin Buchleitner May 21, 2013

Aehm - how do you test your workflows / screens / fields? automated?

I guess we also have to go this way :(

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2013

We have a reasonable amount of automated testing, but every transition of every workflow? No way...

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2013

I wouldn't know of any possibility... Correct me guys if I'm wrong

Suggest an answer