Please provide a value for required field 'Description'

Marta Ferreira May 5, 2022

Hi Jira Community,

I'm trying to raise a ticket - I enter the description required.

When I submit the ticket is giving me an error: Please provide a value for required field 'Description' when I already provided.

Can you please advise?

Thanks,

Marta

1 answer

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

It sounds like there is a custom field named description was created and that is required. As a default, Jira doesn't require the description field. It does require the Summary field to create a ticket. 

Jira uses field IDs so you can have multiple fields with the same name. It happens frequently if Jira isn't under change control 

Marta Ferreira May 5, 2022

Hi Joe,

The issue is that I already populated the field description but is still showing the error. What do you advise?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

You need to contact a JIra administrator to find out if there is a custom field with the same name. It may be that one that is required and not on the screen or the custom one is on the screen and the system one, which isn't, is required by the field configuration scheme.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer