Please give an example workflow of a Business Analysis

Nida Ahmed June 13, 2019

Hi,

I am a Business Analyst whose company is just starting to use JIRA for all aspects of SDLC. I want to be able to see an example of Business Analysis workflow in JIRA that goes from capturing requirements down to creating user stories.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marat Kiniabulatov June 13, 2019

Hi, @Nida Ahmed !

Sorry, posted from the wrong account :) Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I've written an article 2 years ago, on how we manage it at one of the organizations.

In a nutshell, there's a separate project for reqs: statuses are New -> Evaluation -> Sign Off -> Analysis / User Stories -> Ready for Dev.

Format for ticket structure usually is:

Epic <-> Interlinked with Confluence article

- User Stories

- Tasks

Here's a bit more detailed view in my blog post https://kiniabulatov.com/2017/08/24/how-to-ensure-requirements-quality-skuvault-way/

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2019

That's a nice/helpful article, @Marat Kiniabulatov  👍

Nida Ahmed June 17, 2019

Thank you for your response and for the resource.

I read through the article, but I think I have to take several steps back, since perhaps I'm not understanding how "workflows" are created.

Here is where I am (attached photo): I have currently created a "Requirements Management" Business project board. It's blank and now I start with "create issue"? I'm confused on how I get from this point to the picture in your article of the "Pre-development Kanban board" or am I going about this the wrong way? That picture is where I need to get to!

Apologies for the very basic questions, but as I said our company is new to using JIRA and I have just been handed it to play around with and create workflows that will make it useful to work. Currently none of our projects have been entered, these are all just samples, so not having any data to work with is a weird. 

I appreciate your help so much!

JIRA.jpg

Like Muhammad Tahir likes this
Nida Ahmed June 17, 2019

By the way, our company does not have (and does not plan on) getting the Confluence add-on, so I need to be able to do this in JIRA alone. Is the workflow you pictured in your article simply JIRA by itself or with the Confluence add-on?

Marat Kiniabulatov June 17, 2019

1. Do you have admin permissions on creating the workflow? If so -> they are created in Jira Settings -> Issues -> Workflows

2. Take a look at Workflow associated with Requirements project

3. Copy it and start adding needed steps.

If you don't have admin access -> get to your atlassian admins :)

Modelling workflow is essential

But first and foremost, try to model requirements workflow in your head, without tying it to Jira. See how it's already going on with your current flow, document it. How the funnel for requirements work. How is the work done in your department.

Afterwards, you can either reuse current statuses, or add new statuses into the workflows. https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/working-with-workflows-828787890.html

Board

When you look at the board: you need to get to the Board settings (in the upper right corner of the board -> there are three dots -> Board Settings).

Inside - select Columns menu. There you can create columns and map workflow (associated with project) statuses with the columns.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marat Kinyabulatov June 13, 2019

In a nutshell, there's a separate project for reqs: statuses are New -> Evaluation -> Sign Off -> Analysis / User Stories -> Ready for Dev.

Diego Castellanos February 18, 2021

Hi Marat I see your approach is quite useful.

Something I don't have clear, what issue type do you use for this stage? I mean, is it the epic and story by themselves, or is it an idea issue type that when it is complete triggers the creation of the user stories?

Marat Kiniabulatov February 20, 2021

More like the second part. Cause we have the whole pipeline for hashing out the ideas by Product Owners -> and then by teams getting tasks to Definition of Ready. 

The ticket can change the issue type throughout the pipeline, if it evolves to an epic or user story or a task from an idea during more thorough evaluation. 

Don't hesitate to ping me at t.me/eskeemo (telegram) -> I'll be happy to demonstrate the flow in case you're interested in video :)

Like Tj Griffin likes this

Suggest an answer