Pie chart gadget is showing multiple of the same statuses

Joshua Oberlin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2024

I created a dashboard and a filter that selects nine or so different projects. I added a pie chart gadget to the dashboard that shows the three statuses used by each project: To Do, In Progress, and Complete. However, the pie chart is showing each of the statuses several times. So instead of To Do being in the list only once as it should, it's showing up multiple times.

I read on a few different posts that this could be because I'm using "next gen" projects, or "team managed" projects mixed in with projects that are not. I've checked each of the prjoects and they're all team managed software projects. I've tried modifying the filter but there's not much to it, as all it does is filter for the nine or so projects.

Thanks.

pie chart.PNG

5 answers

4 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2024

Hello @Joshua Oberlin 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Company Managed projects share the statuses that are defined at a global level. When you do such a report for multiple Company Managed projects, all issues using a given status (i.e. "To Do") are using the same underlying Status entity.

With Team Managed projects, the design is to allow each project to be independently customized. Because of this, each Status entity in each Team Managed project is unique, even when they have the same human readable name. So, if you have nine Team Managed projects in your report, and each one has a "To Do" status entity associated with some issues, then you will have nine To Do entries in the report - one for the To Do value in each Team Managed project.

Joshua Oberlin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2024

I understand. Is there any way to correct this besides remaking all of the projects?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2024

Unfortunately, no. That is the core of the design/architecture for Team Managed projects.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2024

Hi @Joshua Oberlin -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, and...to Trudy's answer:

There are multiple open suggestions / defects for this symptom, caused by the different contexts and values for Status (and other fields) for each team-managed project:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-78528
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-82394
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25511
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-25590

I believe the only workarounds are to switch to company-managed projects or use a marketplace addon for gadgets which can consolidate the values.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2024

Welcome to the community, @Joshua Oberlin.

I am Marlene, product manager of Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards.

Our app maps the statuses by name and not by ID, which means that if the status names are the same, it will displayed in one piece on your dashboard.

You can check out our app without installation on our demo dashboards.

0 votes
Rustem Shiriiazdanov May 13, 2024

Hi @Joshua Oberlin ,

Is it critical for you to report against statuses, and not status categories? 

I am asking since our application, Report Builder https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1216997/report-builder-custom-scripted-reports-and-tools?hosting=cloud&tab=overview allows you to report against statuses categories, which effectively reduces the number of "statuses" you see in the report to "To Do", "In Progress", "Done".

An example of a report for "Statuses":

Screenshot 2024-05-13 230000.png

Compare to the report against the same data, but built categorised by "Status Category":

Screenshot 2024-05-13 230148.png

Hope that could help you (of course, if you consider non-OOTB solutions for your trouble).

Regards,

Rustem,

Product Owner "Report Builder"

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2024

Hi @Joshua Oberlin,

This is because the team-managed projects have their own statuses. In your example, a "To Do" status exists in all projects but in fact there are 3 "To Do"statuses, one in each project... This is a big limitation.

A good alternative to this pie chart would be the Pivot Table & Pivot Chart gadget offered by our Great Gadgets app. With this gadget you can create all kind of multi-dimensional tables, heat-map tables and charts of various types (including pie charts), just like you do in Microsoft Excel, with drag & drop. And it does not duplicate the statuses!

image.png

image.png

image.png

You could start with the 1-month of free trial. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at support@stonikbyte.com.

Hope this helps.

Danut

0 votes
Varsha Patil May 10, 2024

I tried this, I tried with 2 company managed projects and it worked well. The query I used was like:  project='project1' or project='project2'. I saw combined PI chart.

Will you please share the filter query used.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events