Permissions to Projects

David Ryan January 24, 2020

I've read every answer to questions about providing access to only a limited number of projects through permissions. I still have not been able to successfully provide access to only a single project, rather than all projects. Certainly there must be a video on this somewhere that utilizes the newest version of Jira. All I want to do is give a new user access to only one project. I'm sure our system was not set up correctly to begin with, so somehow users are getting access to everything when they first log in, but I have no idea what to even look for. 

2 answers

1 vote
Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2020

Hi David

The way you grant access to only an individual project is through Project Roles. With in the projects admin page it's self you would go to the Roles section and choose "View Project Roles".  With in here you can add an individual user to just one role within the project. 

I'm assuming that you're using Groups within your permission scheme to grant access, then giving groups to a user. This is okay if you want to blanket provide access to projects that share permission schemes. But it's not great for restricting access to projects. 

For the project you want to restrict you can create a new, or copy of your permission scheme. And adjust it so that permissions are based on project roles. For instance View/Edit may be Developer or Triager role. Then when you add a user into that role on the project they get only that level of access. 

As an example I have a couple projects where they want users to be able to create tickets, view their tickets and comment, but not be able to transition or close them. So I granted the Create and View permission to the Users role. Then I or the Project Admins can add users to this role and they can only create/view. Our agents who work the queue were added to the Developers role, which was granted more access in the Permission scheme. 

By using project roles in your permission scheme you take the pressure off your admin staff as well. When someone is set up as a project admin or project lead, they're able to add/remove users to their projects at will. 

Here is some documentation that further explains, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-roles-776636382.html

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Hi @David Ryan 

My preferred setup is as follows

• Permission scheme grants permissions to project roles
  • Project roles are assigned to groups
  • Users are added to group.

e.g. in project SUPPORT, Role Project Members has permission to browse, create, edit etc. The role contains group 'Support Team' and user Joe is member of the team group.

in Project DEV the project role contains group Dev Team with members Bill and Ben.

Joe can't see DEV, Bill and Ben can't see SUPPORT.

It gets more complicated with projects with very different functionality requiring you to set up domain specific Permission schemes.

We rarely assign users directly unless it's a small project the project admins are willing to look after it themselves as it's not as easy to troubleshoot permission issues.

Best

Tom

Suggest an answer